Author Topic: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting  (Read 1593 times)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 02:33 BST (UK) »

As nothing is turning up for this guy, I thought I’d might suggest something else.

In 1898 a George Charles Laurence HAYWOOD is registered in “Melbourne South”. No father, but the mother is a Fanny Haywood.
A few things:
- I researched the birth dates for some of the other babies born in the same area and who had registration numbers close to baby George’s (i.e. #4984).
   ==> These children were born at the end of Feb 1898.
- Baby George seems to to disappear after birth (and so does the mother)
- In 1897 a Fanny Haywood is looking for a “kind person” to adopt a baby girl
   see: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/188145712?searchTerm=Fanny
   If this is the same lady, could the same have happened to baby George i.e. could he have been adopted/fostered by a family called Watson

As your George Watson had a guardian, the ward registers at PROV could be useful, but they are not online for this period and therefore would need a physical visit: https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/adoption-ward-state-and-care-leaver-records/ward-state-and-care.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 03:13 BST (UK) »
Re my records from my first post they all give his full name George Charles Lawrence Watson also on the Pentridge record, As a birth record can't be found I have to wonder if he was born in NZ with parents Frederick Watson and Mary O'Keefe as on the marriage certificate.

The Bendigo Birth and War record for George Charles Watson (Clerk) are not for my George, so I have to conclude from that he is a different person with parents George Charles Watson and Sarah Jane Williams. this George is on the Bendigo Electoral Roll in 1919 as a Clerk.

I now think the answer lies with the NZ birth  and parents on the marriage cert, would anyone agree with that assumption?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 04:25 BST (UK) »

WATSON George Charles Lawrence : SERN 3881 : POB Brighton VIC
POE Warragul VIC : NOK Hankin Annie
(my comment...transcribed as HANKIN......looks like HAWKINS)

This enlistment file, at Mar 1916, has NOK -

foster-parent Mrs Annie HAWKINS, Wilson St Brighton Melbourne Vic
..this is amended to be guardian.... PO Natimuk....

page 17 of 33 records his conviction, 22 Jan 1919, at Chester City in civil court -

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1919-01-01/1919-01-31?
Gloucester Journal            4 Jan 1919
Gloucestershire Chronicle  4 Jan 1919
Chester Observer            11 Jan 1919

Charles MOLLOY, Henry PEARSON and Robert A JACKSON.....false pretences. George WATSON uses, alias MOLLOY.

West Wimmera Mail and Natimuk Advertiser  9 Mar 1917 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/129403339?
Private G C L Watson, step-son of Mrs Hawkins of Natimuk, has been wounded in France.

VIC BDM
6756/1886   HAWKINS Frederick William   marr. DAWS  Annie

births
17227/1887  HAWKINS Lucy Daphne   parents Annie DAWS /  Frederick Will  @ Brig
30018/1890  HAWKINS  Lilian May      parents Annie DAWS / Frederick Wm   @ Brighton
10286/1893  HAWKINS  Estella Maud  parents  Annie DAWS / Frederick Will  @ Brig

deaths
499/1915   HAWKINS  Fredk Wm  parents Elizth HAWKINS / Hawkins Wm
died at Brighton   age 52

21231/1946   HAWKINS  Annie  parents  Lucy SARTI / DAWS Francis Edward
born  Melbourne died Dingley Dell Mount Evelyn   age 86

I think when Frederick William HAWKINS died, 1915, his wife moved to Natimuk where daughter Estella Maud is living.

The enlistment file, 1916, shows George Charles Lawrence WATSON claiming an association with Annie HAWKINS.

The notice in newspaper, 9 Mar 1917, shows a connection (familial relationship) between George WATSON and the HAWKINS family.  This information would be in the newspaper because someone in the HAWKINS family gave it to the newspaper. It is not standard list of men wounded and killed.

If George WATSON uses MOLLOY as an alias it might be a family name from his ancestry.

Use this site Ancestry Victoria Police Gazette -
https://www.ancestry.com.au/search/collections/60885/

for G C L WATSON, 1922.....with birthplace New Zealand.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 06:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Wivenhoe, all your info seems to fit. I will now spend some time getting it all together and hopefully find a NZ birth for George and complete it

Do you know if NZ bdm's are digitised?

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 07:46 BST (UK) »
NZ BDM indexes are here

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/

But the trouble with them is, you cannot use wildcards, or leave surname blank.  Best to look at family search

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2697870

for that, then go back to NZ BDMs for finer detail and ordering of printout

I did have a quick look last night and nothing useful showed

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you I will give it a try

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 08:46 BST (UK) »

Putting aside the parents and birthplace, which we are  doubting -
At death, 1953, Melbourne, George Charles Lawrence WATSON, aged 55 years, has lived 47 years in Victoria and 7 years in NSW. (with one year not accounted for?)

Unless you know him to have lived in NSW after his war service, it would seem that the informant is describing his life to be ....arrived in NSW as a small child, lived there until about age 7 when moved to Victoria.

Without knowing his birth order you might look for birth of WATSON siblings NSW and VIC between....1900 and 1915?

He might not have started life as a WATSON.....maybe a LAWRENCE...but with three given names, you might look for such multiples of names for siblings.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 08:59 BST (UK) »
yes, I did think about your first paragraph but not the rest, it is all possible and I wish I was as experienced as you all at roots chat.
That is to me a mammoth task!  but I will certainly continue with your suggestion and thank you so much

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 09:09 BST (UK) »

Can I ask why my previous suggestions are totally being ignored?