Author Topic: Allton / Thompson Hartshill  (Read 895 times)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Allton / Thompson Hartshill
« on: Tuesday 21 September 21 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, back again.

I'm looking for specific information on two of my ancestors.
  • William Allton (c. 1821 - 1877)
  • Elizabeth Thompson (nee Finch) (1833-1903)

In particular William Allton's parents and Elizabeth Thompson's burial location.

William Allton
William was first married to a Dinah Morgan (1841) and later Elizabeth Finch (1859). In his 1841 marriage to Dinah his name is recorded as 'William Horton' and when he married Elizabeth his name is recorded as 'William Orton'. In his marriage to Dinah, his father is listed as ‘Henry’, and I'm pretty sure, although I can't find the record now, it's also ‘Henry’ on his marriage certificate to Elizabeth. A 'Henry Allton' was buried at Hartshill in 1857, so I'm guessing that's his father, I've got his birth at around 1776 at Chilvers Coton (baptism 26 May 1776). 'Henry Alton' is also living next door to 'William Horton' and 'Dinah Morgan' in the 1841 census (1127/12/30/18). It would appear that his wife had passed away by 1841 and I haven't yet found a marriage record for Henry, so that would really help me. So, I’m pretty confident on Henry as William’s father but have no idea who the mother is and Henry Allton’s birthplace and age is a guess based on his estimated birth date from the 1841 census (1776 baptism vs 1781 1841 census)

Elizabeth Thompson
Elizabeth Finch married William Allton in 1859. William died in 1877 and was buried in Hartshill. Elizabeth remarried someone 20+ years her junior (Thomas Thompson b. 1857). They are together in the 1881 census but Elizabeth is again on her own in the 1891 census and 1901 (2898/180/11/60) census. It would appear that Thomas Thompson remarried but Elizabeth kept the name Thompson until her death in December 1903. A GRO request showed that she died in Hartshill and her son Jacob Allton was in attendance. I would have expected her to be buried in Hartshill, I went to Hartshill Cemetery and found no headstone for her. I went to the church (Holy Trinity) and found that almost all gravestones had been cleared. Elizabeth is also not present in the burial records for Holy Trinity church: https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/cofe-records/parish-burial-records/burial-indices-parishes-e-k/hartshill-burs/

So, she may be buried in Hartshill Cemetery (which is separate from the church) but I do not have the records for that.

Any light you can shed on any of these two individuals is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Zak

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Allton / Thompson Hartshill
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 02:20 BST (UK) »

In his marriage to Dinah, his father is listed as ‘Henry’, and I'm pretty sure, although I can't find the record now, it's also ‘Henry’ on his marriage certificate to Elizabeth.

Yes, father Henry ORTON (labourer) on the marriage to Elizabeth FINCH
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XXCX-K3?i=229&cc=1462403

Modified to add:
The discrepancy between birth in 1776 and 1781 can be explained by the 1841 census rounding down ages to the nearest multiple of 5. Though I'm not sure why you think the baptism in Chilvers Coton is Henry's?

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 17:26 BST (UK) »

In his marriage to Dinah, his father is listed as ‘Henry’, and I'm pretty sure, although I can't find the record now, it's also ‘Henry’ on his marriage certificate to Elizabeth.

Yes, father Henry ORTON (labourer) on the marriage to Elizabeth FINCH
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XXCX-K3?i=229&cc=1462403

Modified to add:
The discrepancy between birth in 1776 and 1781 can be explained by the 1841 census rounding down ages to the nearest multiple of 5. Though I'm not sure why you think the baptism in Chilvers Coton is Henry's?

Hi Maddy

The baptism in Chilvers Coton is pure speculation based on his age, name, proximity to Hartshill and a 1851 census record that I believe to be the same person (44/2064/73/11). He is visiting William and Jane Wood in Baddesley Ensor and his birthplace is listed as Chilvers Coton.

Kind regards,
Zak

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 21 02:40 BST (UK) »
Ah, I see, sorry I missed that he died in 1857 so didn't look for him in 1851.

Difficult with so many variations in spelling, they don't like to make it easy do they.  ;)

There is a tree on Ancestry that has Henry's birth at Nuneaton 1777, but that appears to be only sourced from the census entries. It has his wife as Mary (unknown surname), who is buried 1828 at Chilvers Coton, but again no sources given.  I have looked for this burial but can't find it.   :-\

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 December 21 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
Have you looked at St Peters in Mancetter? I have Hartshill ancestors who were buried at St Peters.
Have you also looked to see if Nuneaton & North Warwickshire FHS have any records?

Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....