Author Topic: Alien Registers circa England 1909-1917  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alien Registers circa England 1909-1917
« on: Thursday 23 September 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
I have searched the various related posts/topics, but unless I missed one, can anyone help?

Looking for where I may be able to find Alien Registration cards or details that cover 1909-1917 in the UK, specifically England.

The National Archives don't seem to cover that period.

I have found some Alien registration books on Ancestry, but they seem to consist of applications for Naturalisation and the letters to the applicant as to whether the application was accepted or not. Plus the images were so feint, in honesty I gave up part way through searching page by page as I couldn't read most of them.

Reason for question;
Trying to ascertain when my Dutch grandfather arrived in the UK and where.

Facts known;
Carolus Johannes Anthonius Maria, Janssen Steenberg born 1st April 1891, Roosendaal in North Brabant, Netherlands.
1907: Moved to Antwerp, Belgium.
December 1909: Last registered address on Antwerp police records.
June 1911: Census - Living as a lodger in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England.
June 1911: Married an Englishwoman in Salisbury, Wiltshire.

1912-1917: Various recorded addresses, one in Scotland and others in Yorkshire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire, Wiltshire  and Somerset. These addresses he listed on his application for Naturalisation in 1917. Which also stated that he had registered as an Alien both in Newbury, Berkshire and Lincolnshire when residing in those locations (and presumably in the other counties, though no proof). There are no details of any registration numbers.

He was granted British Citizenship in 1917, while serving in the British Army, which he joined in 1916. I have a copy of his Naturalisation papers which includes the various addresses stated by him. Naturalized name: Charles Bodin.

Basically does anyone know;
1) Do Alien registration documents show date of entry to the UK and where?

2) Where Alien registration records may be found for this period (which seem to be outside the main TNA records) IF indeed they may still survive?

Looking for any pointers in the right direction as my searching has drawn a blank so far.

Thank you in advance.
Davidge (Somerset) / Stevens (Greenwich) / House (Middlesex) / Crookes, Shingler, Fishwick (Lancashire-Cheshire) / Stagg, Lush (Somerset, Dorset).

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Registers circa England 1909-1917
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is this  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11824142

A Jane Bodin married Carolus J A M Janssensteenberg in 1911 Salisbury.
Added   apologies I think you have this already, hope someone else can help.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 21 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cathy,

Yes I have his marriage certificate for the marriage to Jane Bodin.

Carole
Davidge (Somerset) / Stevens (Greenwich) / House (Middlesex) / Crookes, Shingler, Fishwick (Lancashire-Cheshire) / Stagg, Lush (Somerset, Dorset).

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
See this 2005 thread for some guidance. Apparently Alien Registration records are held at local level. https://groups.jewishgen.org/g/main/message/175674
https://groups.jewishgen.org/g/main/message/158060

You might need to ascertain which local archives hold historical records for the Police force in question (if any records still exist).

Example: In 2012, West Yorkshire Archive Service received a deposit of alien registration records from Leeds City Police comprising almost 3000 cards and files relating to immigrants registering in the Leeds area between c1850 – c1960. These have been catalogued, conserved and are now available for the public to view.

TIP: The requirement for aliens to register with the police was introduced under the provisions of the Aliens Registration Act 1914; and it was renewed by the Aliens Restriction (Amendment) Act 1919 and the Immigration Act 1971.

The alien registration records may include:

name
nationality
date of birth
address, sometimes including address of last residence outside the UK
date and place of arrival in UK
profession / occupation
marital status
place of birth
conditions of landing
occasional photographs

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 September 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
I don't think my great grandfather ever applied for naturalization but I do have a copy of his registration card and yes it does give year of arrival in UK
+ A list of addresses from 1917- 1920
,+ Has his photo !

It was found by researcher at south Glamorgan records office
I paid them to search as
 the last  records I had for him were 1911 census from pontypridd
+ death 1920 in south Glamorgan

If you don't know which region your grandfather was in when he applied it will be harder to search

Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 21 19:39 BST (UK) »
That's really interesting thank you.

He applied for Naturalisation when in Ripon, Yorkshire while in the army. By the time he was granted it, he had been relocated to Bath, Somerset.

There is nothing on his Naturalisation papers about arriving in the UK. He only had to declare 5 previous years addresses which took it back to 1912.

I have contacted the Berkshire FHS to ask what records they hold, as all attempted online contact with the Berkshire local authority Archives failed.

We are away  for a week, so I will pick up the research again with Berkshire and Lincolnshire when we get back, as I know he definitely registered in thise local authority areas.

Good to know what the cards show, if the records still exist.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
The registration document I have is separate to register cards ... reference numbers are given to I B number inventory book number
Apparently it's not very common to find the records especially ones with photos ..good luck !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson