Author Topic: James SMITH born circa 1758  (Read 599 times)

Offline andyleics003

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James SMITH born circa 1758
« on: Thursday 23 September 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
The moment I found out that one of my 3G-grandparents was Ann SMITH I feared it wasn't going to be easy tracing her ancestors.... and so it has proved.

Ann was the daughter of James Smith, born circa 1758, and his wife Sophia (nee Kirkland).  The  1841 census for Cubley gives James's age as 80 which allowing for rounding down is consistent with his death in Cubley in 1844 aged 86. James and Sophia were married in Brailsford in 1783.  I believe Sophia was baptised in Marston Montgomery in 1764, daughter of John Kirkland and Elizabeth (guess what, also nee Smith).

Inevitably there are plenty of James Smith baptisms in Derbyshire around 1758 to choose from.  I have tried all the obvious things such as family naming conventions but none of the possible baptisms really stands out from the others.  I have looked across the border in Staffordshire too.  I should add that having been researching my family history for approaching 30 years I'm fairly confident that I've tried all the obvious things... 

I'm hoping therefore that someone in this forum may have this James Smith in their tree, and has been able to succeed where I have failed, by finding a convincing baptism record - or has some additional information which might help.   Fingers crossed!

Andy

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James SMITH born circa 1758
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy - just looking at the 29 December 1783 Derbyshire marriage image and wondering if the 1st witness name means anything to you? Looks like John/Jonathan (Jn) xxxxham ?? Hopefully he might provide a clue, if he was a friend/relation to James Smith.

The 2nd witness (Joseph Bombridger?) appears on several other marriage entries, so probably not a friend or relative of James or Sophie.

Marriage License was in Staffs on 4 December 1783, but sadly no image on Ancestry. James' residence place: Brailsford. Sophia's residence place: Rocester. They're both 21. Would like to see the witness names for this record!

Update: Looks like FindMyPast might have the Staffs marriage license record image -- but I don't have a FindMyPast sub. Just checking FS now, which has several record entries.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
Francis Braddock is a regular witness, but Wm whose whose surname I cannot read was not.
(They were married by licence)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
His other Bondsman (for the marriage allegation) is a Wm Maskery (although he is of Rocester, the brides parish)

Offline andyleics003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 September 21 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  I did look at the names of the marriage witnesses but none of them proved helpful.  I haven't seen the marriage bond (I couldn't find it on Findmypast) but Wm Maskery isn't a name which seems to lead anywhere.

The best bet for James's baptism seems to me to be in Kedleston, to James and Ann, 25/3/1759.  It's about 11 miles from Rocester and Marston Montgomery, 9 miles from Cubley, but only 3 miles from Brailsford. Family names include Ann, like his daughter.  And the date seems right.  But I can't rule out the several others which seem plausible, so a brick wall it remains...

Thanks again, and any further thoughts very much welcome!

Andy

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline andyleics003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 21 23:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the link mckha489 - I have no idea why the licence didn't appear in my search results on Findmypast.  Whilst it doesn't particularly move things forward, it is good to see it.

Andy