Author Topic: William Chambers POME in Tasmania 1846 - 1857  (Read 806 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William Chambers POME in Tasmania 1846 - 1857
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 September 21 02:53 BST (UK) »
Fenny Stratford is in Buckinghamshire- 2 miles from Bow Brickhill.
So that record might be for the same man, with named mis-spelled..

Thanks, so starting to make better sense now of the Opening Post.  Norfolk Island is nearly 1700 hundred kms from Sydney and 2400 kms from Hobart.

ADD Agh....  its CHAMBERS as per CON33-1-79 Image 33 that makes even better sense now.  I will note it back on my earlier replies tool  Thanks Jomot.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 September 21 07:28 BST (UK) »
'POME" is  Prisoner of Mother England
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 September 21 07:53 BST (UK) »
'POME" is  Prisoner of Mother England

Thank you, although I am sure you would agree that by convention, in family history, even in the best forum ever, that capitalisation is usually reserved for SURNAMES ....   

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0   South Australia Birth - William THOMAS (SURNAME ONLY should be in CAPITALS)

https://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php
Here is a second reason to avoid too many capitals in titles:
It makes it easier for everybody to recognise the SURNAME  :)   

ADD https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=246603.0  :D :D :D :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 September 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

Thanks for all of your replies.

Firstly, apologies for any confusion regards POME, I was told that this was a known term for 'Prisoners of Mother England'

Fenny Stratford is very close to Bow Brickhill, my family appeared in Bow Brickhill C1807 and I lived in Fenny Stratford until 1988.

I think I misunderstood the records and thought he had been taken straight to Tasmania, was the  Pestongee Bomangee a transport ship?

I had read about 'tickets of Leave' but could not find one for William, does it give any information?

Thanks for all your help.

Regards

Ian Chambers

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 September 21 22:38 BST (UK) »
I think your question may have already been answered.

There is a record for William CHAMBERS arrived 8 Jan 1846 on the Mayda.  Convicted at Bedford sessions 1 July 1845.  Conditional Pardon looks to me like 30 June 1857.  Ticket of Leave was Oct 1855.  Place of Origin: Buckinghamshire.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 October 21 00:06 BST (UK) »
Agree with Neale. 

Also consider checking :

I can find where a chap named William CHALMERS was transferred from Norfolk Island to VDL per the Pestongee Bomangee but that was not until May 1847.  He had arrived at Norfolk Island per the Mayda January 1846.  ADD  not CHALMERS but CHAMBERS ... thanks Jomot. ADD Agh....  its CHAMBERS as per CON33-1-79 Image 33 that makes even better sense now. 

Notice  :)

:) it was his second offence that led to sentence of transportation
 :) Ticket of Leave .... local court giving permission to move between local districts for work within the colony for short periods of time .... similar concept to parole
 :) Conditional Pardon .... usual conditions include not ever permitted to return to Britain....

The ToL and the CP are noted on the convict record that is freely available at the link already posted ...

JM  ADD  ... the Pestongee Bomangee was sometimes contracted to transport convicts. Other times she brought free settlers.  Mr Geggles search engine will help you if you search by ships name. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 October 21 01:13 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37129619 4 March 1847, The Australian, citing Colonial Times of 19 February.  JM notes that The Australian was published in Sydney in the NSW colony and the Colonial Times was published in VDL colony.

Briefly the cutting reads (notice the spelling) The Pestonjee Bomanjee, with male prisoners, arrived at Hobart Town on Wednesday last, from London 25th October, ...... The prisoners were originally intended for Norfolk Island, but her destination was altered by Express before she left the English coast.  ..... All prisoners now at Norfolk Island, and sent thither direct from England, are to be immediately forwarded to this colony. No prisoners to be sent to Norfolk Island, except those who may be doubly or trebly convicted here; and that penal settlement is to be abandoned as such as speedily as possible.

Here is that Colonial Times Cutting https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8760088

JM

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 October 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, folks.

Regards

IanC