Author Topic: Samuel Barns  (Read 608 times)

Offline jrainbrim

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Barns
« on: Saturday 25 September 21 00:00 BST (UK) »
I found my grt grandfather Joseph Barnes on 1861 census living in Southampton. I can in fact find him on every census until his death except the 1871 census.
I know he was a gunner in the Royal artillery but cannot find a record other than what is stated on 1881 census.
His BC in 1852 states he was the son of Samuel and Martha, maiden name Downs. On 1861 census Samuel is stated as a traveller. I can find no record of a marriage for Samuel or for Henry another son,born 1833, to a lady called Ann.
What am I doing wrong that I cannot find records.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Barns
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 September 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
Can you give the reference for the 1861 Census - I cannot find either Samuel or Joseph as Barns/Barnes in Southampton.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 September 21 02:45 BST (UK) »
Could they have been in the Portsmouth area in 1861??  Living in Portsea .   The first three people shown are crossed out and they are shown elsewhere in Portsea at St Marys Lane

Samuel Barnes    66 Gipsy Labourer b Copnor, Hampshire - Wife in Union (workhouse??)
Joseph Barnes    Son 8  b Copnor, Hampshire
Henry Barnes    Son 28 Gipsy Basket Maker b Copnor, Hampshire
Ann Barnes  Wife 28

Kay

Added In 1861 in the Portsea Workhouse there was a Mary Barnes age 37 married b Hants Portsmouth with chidren all born in Sussex - Elizabeth 14, William 11, Daniel 6, Kate 4 and Walter 1

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 September 21 03:28 BST (UK) »
Re Samuel's marriage there is possible marriage on 1 June 1824 at Southampton St Mary
Samuel Barnes widower to Martha Frake widow

Kay

Added - Found earlier threads on the family https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=838943.msg7046065#msg7046065   https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847405.msg7145464#msg7145464

Offline jrainbrim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 September 21 17:03 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census is a possibility.
The family living in the work house could be possible too but I don't understand why she did not take Joseph.
I had  thought for a long while that it was Martha Frake, but there is a census record for her with Samuel that does not match. Also a newspaper article about George Frake, Martha's son, in court accused of assaulting Samuel.
From all census records 1881 onwards Joseph and his wife Eleanor their children are.....Samuel James, James was Eleanor's fathers name. Annie Martha, Eleanor's mother was called Annie.
Other children were Mary, William and Thomas. Eleanor had a sister called Mary. Eleanor's maiden name was Williams. The only child I do not know whom he was named for was Thomas.
I cannot find gypsy records

Offline jrainbrim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 September 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
Can you give the reference for the 1861 Census - I cannot find either Samuel or Joseph as Barns/Barnes in Southampton.

Annette
I think they were in Portishead. Place called St Mary's.