Author Topic: Thomas Hunter Stuart + Mary Teresa Tyler  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hunter Stuart + Mary Teresa Tyler
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 September 21 23:43 BST (UK) »
We are still missing Thomas Hunter Stuarts mother
I believe you are looking for Sarah ROSLYN /ROSLIN /ROSSIN /ROSEN (note changeable spelling)

Working from the information in the 1861 census  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2ML-QVMD
The 3 Cameron children (nieces and nephew) are the children of James Cameron (Corporal in Life Guards) and Ann (sister to Sarah Stuart)

In the 1851 census those Cameron children are with their Uncle John Roslyn.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGPJ-BG9

John Rossin bap 1806 Paxton, Huntingdonshire /Cambridgeshire (parents William and Ann) https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/58183e62e93790ec8bfca7b3/john-rossin-baptism-huntingdonshire-great-paxton-1806-12-14?locale=en
- John’s 2nd marriage 1855 (St Martin in the Fields ) to Ann Lovell  - Father is William Roslyn - Matting Maker
- John Roslyn died Baldock Hertfordshire 1890 https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/143799699/john-roslyn

I believe Sarah Stuart, wife to Thomas snr, and father to Thomas jnr is Sarah Roslyn.
Note - I can’t find a marriage.
The census gives Sarah born abt 1824 Gamlingay Cambridgeshire.

Sarah ROSIN baptism 25 Apr 1826. Father William, mother Ann https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817c5b0e93790ec8b1cbb55/sarah-rosin-baptism-cambridgeshire-gamlingay-1826-04-25?locale=en
(Note: there were 5 daughters all baptised on the same day - no info on when each was born)

1841 census St Mary Islington West. Sarah Roslin age 20, born out of county, servant  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQJV-8GX

Extra info: -
•   When James Cameron marries in 1873 he is named as James Roslin Cameron. Father James Cameron – soldier
•   Marriage 1802: William Rosin to Ann   https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817b315e93790eb7f68aec6/ann-losen-william-rosen-marriage-cambridgeshire-eltisley-1802-03-20?locale=en
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 September 21 00:00 BST (UK) »
There is this birth

TYLER, MARIA  THERESA     GRANNELL 
GRO Reference: 1863  S Quarter in ST GEORGE SOUTHWARK  Volume 01D  Page 131

Perhaps her parents are the  6 Aug 1855 St Mary Newington, marriage of
Thomas  TYLER engine driver, Poplar Row, father Thomas a carman
Jane Elizabeth GRANNELL.  poplar Row, father Richard, a landing waiter at Customs

But there are a lot of M. T. Tylers to choose from. We need to know where she definitely appears in your friend’s paperwork

Hi Ricky,   Are you confirming that your friend already knew the info about Maria Theresa TYLER's birth and her parentage that was kindly looked up and posted at reply # 2 (see above)?   

This is spot on Thankyou....
TYLER, MARIA  THERESA     GRANNELL
GRO Reference: 1863  S Quarter in ST GEORGE SOUTHWARK  Volume 01D  Page 131

Perhaps her parents are the  6 Aug 1855 St Mary Newington, marriage of
Thomas  TYLER engine driver, Poplar Row, father Thomas a carman
Jane Elizabeth GRANNELL.  poplar Row, father Richard, a landing waiter at Customs

Name:

Jane Elizabeth Grannell

Female

Record Type:

Bann

Marriage Banns Date:

Marriage Banns Place:

St Mary, Newington, Southwark, England

Spouse:

Thomas Tyler

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 September 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
Dear majm....my muck-up
I was sent three email ...I was working my way through them one at a time, then to discover email 3 was the certificate after your post, Turns out instead of having offered this information, the certificate was used then to confirm..so well done and Thanks

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 September 21 01:29 BST (UK) »
mckha89 found that info  :)

JM

Dear majm....my muck-up
I was sent three email ...I was working my way through them one at a time, then to discover email 3 was the certificate after your post, Turns out instead of having offered this information, the certificate was used then to confirm..so well done and Thanks
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 27 September 21 01:33 BST (UK) »
Neale....
I think its possible family stories have got confused over the years??? and this is not our Thomas

Ive found 2 family tree with Thomas Hunter Stuart that married Maria Teresia Tyler ...Billiards
and 4 more trees with Thomas Stuart that married Sarah was a tailor on fleet street  
Not much in their ages either the tailor 1817-1895 the Billiards maker 1844-1930...both too old to go to the Boer war

Thomas Stuart
1817–1895

BIRTH ABT 1817 • New Abbey, Dumfries, Dumfries-shire, Scotland

DEATH 29 OCT 1895 • Bow, London, England

his Son
Thomas Stewart
1847–

BIRTH ABT 1847 • London, England

DEATH Unknown

Birthabt 1847 • London, England
4 Sources

(AGE)

ViewResidence1851 • 21 Fleet St, St Dunstan in the West, Middlesex, England
Thomas Stewart, 32, Tailor, b. Scotland; Sarah, Wife, 27, b. Cambridgeshire; Thomas, Son, 4, b. London; Ann, Daugh, 2, b. London; Sarah, Daugh, 6 m, b. London; Henry Birt?, Serv, U, 50, Shopman?, b. London.

1 Source

Residence1861 • 8 Botolph Alley, Billingsgate, London, England
Thomas Stuart, 42, Journeyman Tailor, b. Scot.; Sarah, W, 37, Tailoress, b. Camblingay; Thos, S, 14, Clerk; Ann, D, 12; Sarah, D, 10; James Cameron, Neph, 9; Jane Cameron, Vis, 19, b. St Giles; Harriet Cameron, Vis, 16, b. St Giles; Others b. City of Lond.

1 Source

Marriage29 Oct 1871 • St Bartholomew, Moor Lane, London, England
Thomas Stuart, 25, Bachelor, Clerk, Father: Thomas Stuart, Tailor; Georgina Dean, 22, Spinster, Father: James Dean, Ship Carpenter; Both res. Red Cross St; Wits: Andreas Borggren, Sarah Stuart.

Georgeanna Kate Dean
(1849–)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 27 September 21 01:55 BST (UK) »
I feel the person you are trying to help knows more than they are passing on to you especially re. the 'Hunter' part of his name because I now have found the following (thanks to Neale1961's posting):

Sarah Roslyn (dau. of William Roslyn, farmer) married Thomas Hunter of 78th Regt. (son of Thomas Hunter, attorney) 26/3/1844 St. Mary Magdalene, Gillingham, Kent.

With Thomas Stuart stating father was a solicitor at his second marriage tends to point to Thomas Hunter and Thomas Stuart being the same person!!!

Having not previously found birth entries for the 3 children of Thomas and Sarah I then checked GRO index under Hunter and bingo:

Thomas Hunter    birth Dec.1846   West London    mmn Roslyn
Ann Stuart Hunter  birth Dec.1848      "                     "
Sarah Stuart Hunter birth Dec.1850     "                     "

So, family were Hunter from 1844 to 1850 and then Stuart from 1851 (census).

For your 'friend' to give the information that Thomas was Thomas Hunter Stuart (which was never included in his name in records from 1851 until his 1930 death) the above information must have been unearthed before else why would they know about the 'Hunter' part, which myself and others have asked you about on this thread.   

At the moment looks like you/we should be searching for a Thomas Hunter bc.1817 rather than a Thomas Stuart (the latter producing zero results as you know).  All we know for certain right now is that Thomas was Thomas Hunter, a soldier, when he married Sarah Roslyn in 1844 and that their 3 children registered as Hunter too until the family become Stuart in 1851.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 27 September 21 02:01 BST (UK) »
Some urban myths that Ricky may want to delve into further ...

:)  :) 78th Regiment - their TARTAN is the MacKenzie tartan.     ;D   

:)  :) 78th served in India where SNOOKER was developed out of Billiards...

JM

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 27 September 21 02:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry was to post this with the other Thomas Stuart

Thomas Hunter Stuart
1844–1930

BIRTH 02 OCT 1844 • N K, London, England

DEATH 22 JAN 1930 • Meadow Rd, Merton, Wimbledon

Birth02 Oct 1844 • N K, London, England
4 Sources

(AGE)

ViewMilitary10 Mar 1864 • Hounslow
1 Source

Marriage1884
Maria Teresa Tyler
(1863–1944)

1 Source

Residence1891 • Battersea, London, England
Relation to Head: Head

1 Source

Residence1901 • Tooting Graveney, London, England
Relation to Head of House: Head

1 Source

Residence02 Apr 1911 • Merton, Surrey, England
Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Head

1 Source

Death22 Jan 1930 • Meadow Rd, Merton, Wimbledon

Cause of Death
Lobar Pneumonia

Occupation
Commision Agent

Occupation
Billiard Referee

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 27 September 21 02:19 BST (UK) »
Ricky, if you are copy pasting, please don't, as that could cause copyright issues, and RChat's T & C.  It is best to actually transcribe the information yourself, and of course for your typing to err.... include the headings for each piece of 'data' that you post.

JM