Author Topic: Where is Baulchry?  (Read 753 times)

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where is Baulchry?
« on: Sunday 26 September 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
The thread on Aultnaleard reminds me that I am trying to resolve a pronunciation issue in my own research.
I have a John Mackenzie and Elizabeth Munro living on Braetongue in the 1830's and there is a marriage in Auchatraharn (Allt Ach an t-Srathain) in 1795 which I believe could be theirs with John being the son of George Mackenzie, tenant in "Achtraan", presumably just another spelling.

In the Tongue Session Records in a list of Heads of Families for 1834 there is a John Mckenzie "late Baulchry."

If one travels up the valley of the "Allt Ach an t-Srathain" you get to the:
"Bealach na Creige Riabhaich".

Is it possible that "Baulchry" is an English abbreviation of "Bealach na Creige Riabhaich"?
I have a hard photocopy of the Session Record and the full stop after Baulchry. is very clear and perhaps indicates an abbreviation.

Offline Japd3310

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Baulchry?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'm entering an already concluded line of research. My 4x grandparents were John Mackenzie and Elizabeth Munro living together in Braetongue around the 1830's. I noticed that John has a possible place name, Baulchry, beside his 1834 Roll of Male Heads record. I have been unable to track this location and just found your question on the same location. Have you been able to get any further since your 2021 question?

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 23 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'm entering an already concluded line of research. My 4x grandparents were John Mackenzie and Elizabeth Munro living together in Braetongue around the 1830's. I noticed that John has a possible place name, Baulchry, beside his 1834 Roll of Male Heads record. I have been unable to track this location and just found your question on the same location. Have you been able to get any further since your 2021 question?
No I haven't got any further on the Baulchry issue but delighted to hear from you as John Mackenzie and Elizabeth Munro were also my 4xgrandparents! Who were your 3x? Mine were Robert Mackenzie and Johan Mackay.
Will be very pleased to hear more of your research.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 17:35 GMT (UK) »
BEALACH NA CREIGE RIABHAICH

This name signifies the "pass of the Brindled Hill." and applies to a hollow or piece of low lying ground Situated between Creag "Riabhaich Mhor," and "Creag Riabhaich Bheag." on the property of his Grace the Duke of Sutherland.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 19:42 GMT (UK) »

Alan of Kaslo,

BEALACH NA CREIGE RIABHAICH

It's noted that you have added text to your original reply. Please add 'Edited to Add' when you add more text.

Also, please do not type in capital letters, it looks like you are shouting at your fellow RootsChatters.
If you need to emphasize something, use italics or bold typeface instead of all caps.

Thanks.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 20:47 GMT (UK) »

Also, please do not type in capital letters, it looks like you are shouting at your fellow RootsChatters.

You actually think I typed it like that?  It was copied from Scotlandplaces. My apologies. I have seen many, many other examples here of pasting text from SP that is capitalized.

Are you saying it is forbidden/discouraged to copy and paste text from SP that is in original form?

In any regard you put me in my place. I get it.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Kiltaglassan, please could you point contributors to the style guide for writing on RC, many thanks.

Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire