Author Topic: Obituary John Watterson died Nov 9, 1898 Ballymaguigan  (Read 872 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Obituary John Watterson died Nov 9, 1898 Ballymaguigan
« on: Monday 27 September 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
John Watterson married secondly to Ann McElroy died Nov 9,  1898 in Ballymaguigan. They had a daughter Matilda married to Archibald Young. Would like obit to find other relatives, especially siblings and other children.
Ann Watterson nee McElroy died Dec 3,1909 in Ballymaguigan. Her obit would be helpful as well.
Thank you very much.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary John Watterson died Nov 9, 1898 Ballymaguigan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 September 21 16:52 BST (UK) »

John Watterson's death record of 1898 - he was a farmer.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05816/4646690.pdf

Very unlikely that there was an obituary - more likely a simple death notice.

Likewise Anne's death in 1909 - maybe a simple death notice as the widow of a farmer.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1909/05447/4524174.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 September 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you,KG. I did find those death records on irishgenealogy. However, I was hoping that an obit might sort out John's parents. His father was George as per marriage records, and he must have been born abt 1823. As per an online tree, he was a sibling to Margaret Watterson who married William George Leacock which would make his parents George Watterson and Mary Ann McNeil. However, I don't know if the tree is  reliable as there is a mistake on it regarding John's daughter. So is the sibling info reliable?
Thank you again
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 September 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
George Watterson married to Mary Ann McNeil was in the Londonderry militia at one point, was a sargeant in another record so perhaps he has an obit. George died Mar 2, 1862 and Mary Ann died Jan 13, 1862.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 September 21 17:17 BST (UK) »
1901 census Ballymaguigan, The Young family. Archie, son in law was present at death of Ann Watterson. Think this is Archie's father who married a Margaret Doyle.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Castledawson/Ballymaguigan/1541752/

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 September 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Archie Young to Matilda Watterson, 1898, fathers, John Watterson, farmer & Archie Young farmer.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1898/10404/5788752.pdf

1901 census, Ann with Archie & Matilda

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000638921/

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 September 21 18:24 BST (UK) »
There was a marriage in 1876, Ballymaguigan, of a Margaret Waterson to a George Pickering, but father is listed as John, Labourer, not farmer

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 September 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
Might be worthwhile looking at John's Will. He only left 49 GBP

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639554040

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 September 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kloumann for all this additional info. I do have the 1876 marriage of Margaret Watterson to George Pickering and I have her parents as John Watterson and Alicia Lees.
As for Archy Young, the 1901 census has his age as 31 so born abt 1869. In 1911, his age is 45 so born abt 1866. The only Archibald birth that I find in that time frame is Archibald born 1869 with parents Archibald Young and Mary Ann Davis. I am going to have to check that out and make sure that I have the correct parents. I think the Archibald that married  Margaret Doyle was Catholic so not thinking they are this Archy's parents. Also Archibald and Margaret's son Archy was born abt 1896 as per the 1901 census.
Getting John's will from 1898 is a great idea.
Peggy