Author Topic: Dorothy J Constant  (Read 1353 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy J Constant
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 September 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
CaroleW that looks perfect thank you
Just a little note my three times aunt Josephine Byrnes who was very very generous she was known as lady bountiful it’s very weird in her will she didn’t leave this Dorothy any money and I’m wondering if she wasn’t that keen on Aubrey he was a widow when she married him
I don’t think I’ll ever know who the adopted daughters real name  was because obviously Josephine changed her name as soon as she adopted her
Thank you so much for solving the where about  of her when she dies I’m guessing her and Aubrey stayed together he is very handsome  looking from a photograph I have

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 September 21 21:25 BST (UK) »
Bit of confirmation that Aubrey went by the names Constant and Allen...

West Sussex Gazette
13 Mar 1924
page 11
[Bankruptcy case of Aubrey Allen Constant, known as Aubrey Allen]

There are a number of newspaper items for Aubrey Constant, likely the same chap, including a rather sad story in 1906 when he and a friend, James S Marshall, were visiting Thames Ditton for a few days and James died whilst bathing in the river. Two young men were nearby, in a dinghy, but simply watched him drown, and rowed away.

Also, if you haven't seen them, there are a lot of newspaper items for Dorothy's mother regarding her bigamy case. Some have a lot of background information about her, meeting Mr Jalland and Mr Wagstaff, and her work as a nurse. An item in the Penny Illustrated Paper (01 Dec 1906) has a photo of her.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 08:28 BST (UK) »
Cuffie81
Wow thank you re the bankruptcy details
I really need a newspaper subscription
I do know everything about Josephine and I’m wondering not to cast aspersions but as she didn’t leave adopted Dorothy any money in her will and she was really generous I’m wondering if Aubrey aunt my aunts cup of tea
I had no reason at all for saying that but knowing her and knowing her generosity I do find it weird no mention in the will
That’s very sad about his friend that must’ve left a terrible scar on him
Thank you so much I ordered the death certificate for him and adopted Dorothy yesterday

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone who replied to my post as always your all so good
So knowledgable ❤️

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
Could she maybe have helped her financially at sometime on the understanding that such help was her inheritance?  I've come across that numerous times where children have been helped to buy a farm or to set up their home when they married - this mentioned in wills.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Artifis
You may well be right, Josephine gave away her money With gusto lol
But she appears to be no one’s fool, and I just have a feeling about Aubrey lol
Thanks for the reply

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 October 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
CaroleW
Thank you, I received the death certificate today for Dorothy Joseph Alan who sadly died in 1974 because she was adopted her maiden name has been left blank even though she was married under the name Jalland and live with her adopted parents in 1911 with the surname Wagstaff
But it does say that her date of birth was the 27th of September 1905 and I know she was born in Liverpool so I’m guessing my aunt Josephine would’ve taken her from a catholic orphanage
When Josephine left Ireland in about 1877 she did go as a sewing maid to Liverpool so perhaps that was her connection with Liverpool
I guess adoption papers were note available for this year and although Josephine was very rich she probably just made a donation  to the convent or orphanage I can’t see that I’m going to trace adopted Dorothy born 27stember1905 in Liverpool
But it seems strange that such a specific date but no maiden name of her mother unless she was a foundling
Anyway thanks Carole spot on