Author Topic: Help with valuation rolls questions please  (Read 279 times)

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with valuation rolls questions please
« on: Monday 27 September 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
Researching the history of my house and inhabitants, I've found a lot of very interesting info from the valuation rolls (Scotland); all the entries for my house list a single name for either proprietor or tenant. Do the valuation rolls only list the head of the household, or is it likely that all previous entries, all male, were single occupants?

The entries for my house only go back to 1904; this could mean either that the entries are missing (unlikely, as all others are present), or the house is of around that date. Where I live is a very old street, and I'm fairly sure that the house would have been here pre 1904.  The people I bought it from were told it dates back to 1800 but had no further information.  Can anyone suggest further avenues of investigation - eg  was in use other than a dwelling, or one big house made into two etc?

I've not been here long, and have still to visit the library here to see what I can find.  Any help or suggestions gratefully received  :)

Thankyou
Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with valuation rolls questions please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 September 21 18:31 BST (UK) »
The names given in the valuation rolls are for the proprietor, tenant and occupier (if different from the tenant). They do not give a clue as to the number of people living in the house.

If your house was built about 1904, it will appear on the 1911 census.

Another source is the National Library of Scotland maps site, which allows you to look at large-scale maps over the years and see changes and new buildings appearing.

The address may appear in a post office directory.

Entering the address into a newspaper collection might throw up information too.

Without giving the house number (for anonymity), what street and in what town are you researching?

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with valuation rolls questions please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 21 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply - I'll have a look at the maps site.

Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew