Author Topic: ESSEX family: Emmigration after 1881  (Read 1833 times)

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
  • Time cannot change what went before
    • View Profile
ESSEX family: Emmigration after 1881
« on: Wednesday 31 August 05 22:43 BST (UK) »
I have recently made contact with someone from GR who states that the following family (or at least Issac) emigrated to Austrailia.  This is the family in 1881 residing at 44 West Holme St, Leicester St Mary England

ESSEX:

Isaac   Head   Marr  38   b: Narborough, Leicester,  Gen Lab

Eliza Wife   38   b: Market Bosworth, Leicester

Alice Daur   Unm 17   b: Market Bosworth, Leicester Factory Hand (Goods Textile) 

Lois Daur 11   b: Leicester Scholar   

Eunice Daur  7   b: Leicester Scholar     

Naomie Daur  6  b:Stanton, Derby Scholar   

Ernest Son  6   b: Stanton, Derby Scholar   

Thomas Son  5   b: Stanton, Derby Scholar

Bertha Daur  1   b: Leicester   

RG11 Piece 3176 Folio 88 Page 31

I have been unable to locate any of this family on 91 & 01, so there maybe something to this. However, the contact is unable or unwilling to provide further details at this point.  i have explored all the links on this board regarding emigration to Australia & they seem to draw a blank.  however, i have to admit that this is the 1st time i have had to explore the possibility of family members emigrating, so if anyone with experience in this field of research can point me in any direction it would be much appreciated.

Issacs parents were:

George ESSEX b: 1815 Leicester & Jane SAWBRIDGE b: 1816 Narborough, Leics. They marr. 1836 at Narborough, Leicester.

Issac marr: Eliza BARSBY in 1867 at Leicester, Eliza was b: 1844. (Parents unkown)

If anyone can point me in some direction, it would be much appreciated, however, as Issac was a Gen Lab in 1881 how would he be able to afford the passage for his family or was there some form of assisted passage in place at this time?  If he was transported, (no evidence so far) could his family have followed him out? Perhaps they changed their surname?? Who knows. Im just intrigued.

Kind regards, Sharren

BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ESSEX family: Emmigration after 1881
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 05 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharren

It is often difficult to find people in Oz at this time if you do not know the state - however - you may be lucky as a quick look at the Eastern States immigration gives the following coming to Queensland
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/downloads/Indexes/immigration/ImmiE3.pdf
ESSEX Alice 18 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699
ESSEX Bertha 2 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699
ESSEX Eliza 39 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699
ESSEX Emma 9 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699
ESSEX Ernest 7 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699
ESSEX Isaac 39 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699
ESSEX Lois 12 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699
ESSEX Marian 7 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699
ESSEX Thomas 6 Selkirkshire 2 Nov 1882 IMM/117 225 M1699

The immigration film will probably supply little that you don't already know - usually has occupation and where the family came from.

I don't have instant access to Qld BDM records but may be able to check them later and/or someone else may have the information. Qld BDMs are available on CD - to about 1914. Births to (I think) 1918 are on microfiche & Marriages and Deaths are available to a later date. If you have access to an LDS centre, they usually have this information.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 05 01:31 BST (UK) »
There appears to be no sign of the men (or Eliza) in the Brisbane Cemetery Search, so they may have gone somewhere in rural Queensland. Some BDM certificates may be a good starting point. If they stayed in Qld, you should be able to find deaths for at least the parents.

In the white pages there are 10 families with the name ESSEX in Brisbane and 31 in regional areas.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/resSearch.jhtml

Trish

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 05 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Trish for finding this info, it certainly appears to be the same family group.   ;D

i shall have to investigate what the local LDS has on film. as a point of interest, how do australian BMD compare to eng & wales BMD? do they offer more/less/similiar info??? are they available to order online???

Anyway, thanks for all your help, needless to say i shall be busy learning the ropes for some time to come.

Kind regards, Sharren   :-*

BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 05 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharren

Had a look on my Queensland BMD disc and came up with the following"

Marriage
Eliza Essex to James Downing
21 October 1889
Ref:1889/001898

Birth
Alice Emma Essex
Parent: Alice Essex
21 November 1883
Ref:1883/007068

Death
Alice Emma Essex
Parent: Alice Essex
23 February 1884
Ref: 1884/004691

Death
Isaac Essex
Parents:George Essex and Jane Sawbridge
28 June 1884
Ref:1884/004817

Marriage
Alice Essex to Francis Richard Goodwin
27 June 1885
Ref: 1885/001964

They look like they could be your family.

Jaki

PS I am not sure about ordering certificates from Queensland but i know that you can order them online for New South Wales.
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 September 05 06:53 BST (UK) »
Qld BDMs are not available online. For pre 1890 certificates the Qld archives provide an excellent service.
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/bdm.asp
The ref numbers as specified by Jacki allow for a certificate at $AU18 (about 7 pounds).

The certificates usually contain much more information than British ones - we are very spoilt. Death certificates contain parents, children, burial details, marriage details and length of time in Australia.
Birth certificates contain siblings and parent marriage details.
Marriage certificates contain both sets of parents.

post 1890 certificates come from Qld BDM registry & language restraints forbid me saying what I think of their service. Suffice to say if you send tham an email, they respond by snail mail. There are restrictions on access to data & ID requirements which send me quite crazy.
http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/bdm/home.htm

If your family moved at all, Victorian certificates are available online & NSW indexes are online. NSW also have transciption agents providing a cheaper service than certified copies.

NSW has all the state links here
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/links/links.htm

and their indexes here
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

Hope this helps

Trish

PS Looking at the reference numbers from Jaki - it seems they are outside the Brisbane area, as Brisbane reference numbers contain a B as part of the number.

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 September 05 14:17 BST (UK) »
Jaki:

Thankyou for taking the time to look these BMD up for me.  I can confirm that the death entry for Issac is almost certainly my guy, the parents names tally with info i have from the English 61 & 71 census. so obtaining this cert looks like an ideal starting point, i cant believe how much info you guys get on a cert  :o its seems to good to be true.

the marriage btwn Eliza & James maybe a 2nd marriage for Issacs widow. the other BMD you found may refer to the eldest daughter??? Anyway the dates fit in with the family arriving in 1882 so im keeping my fingers & toes crossed.

Trish:

Thanks for posting those links, i shall no doubt be making use of them for the foreseeable future. its interesting to note the different approaches various departments have in releasing similiar types of info, however, as the details Jaki found relate to pre-1890 certs hopefully, the service & transcation will run smoothly.

btw, on the NSW records site, i also located a gaol photo & criminal/court?? records for an Ernest Essex born England 1876  Gaol - Darlinghurst photo taken 4/10/1904 photo no:9489 page 324 series NRS2138 Item [3/6069] (Reel copy not available at present, not sure what this relates too) This may well be the Ernest in my family group, the birthdate is out by 2yrs but how uncommon would this be at that time??? i believe that the gaol was in the Sydney area at that time. other than purchasing the photo & accompanying record, which i believe are very informative, are there any other online sources which may give details on the crime, court case etc such as newspapers etc.

Anyway, thanks once again Jaki & Trish for your help, & a possible criminal in the family just makes it all the more intriguing & addictive.  8)

Kind regards, Sharren.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 05 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharren

Glad your search is going well - I should have added - the information on death certificates is only as good as the informant. When this is a spouse or child it is usually very good, but at times there is very little information if the informant is a doctor, neighbour or other unrelated person. If the index contains the parent names the odds are good that the other information will be available. Our death certificates are definitely good value.

I don't know of other online sources for your criminal. I did look at the NSW indexes and there is no sign of a death - so he either moved or died after 1945.

Depending on the crime, there could be a newspaper report - major libraries contain film of the city papers - in this case the Sydney Morning Herald. Darlinghurst is an inner Sydney surburb. There is a NSW transcription agent that I use that will do lookups at the NSW records office - his charges are usually less than the official fee and he sends the details by email - giving a faster turnaround.

This is his website
http://home.iprimus.com.au/lturtle/

Good searching

Trish

Offline aussiecandy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 05 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharren,

I have a couple of posts on this board too. Sorry you feel we have drawn a blank, but I have had some good progress. Some of my conversations with other helpful rootschatters has been via a lot of personal messages. I've tried to put progress results back on the board as often as possible, but there's too much to do.

My progress improved after finding assisted immigrants on the same Qld website where Trish found yours. Then very fortunately an LDS researcher had submitted several of her ancestors to the LDS familysearch.org so I got a few more details, she has since passed away so that's a lost cousin. From there I searched several cemeteries online in Qld using the new surnames I had gathered from marriage details.

http://www.interment.net/

Sometimes not knowing where they were buried but just searching for anything on my names. I gradually got more details and am putting the jigsaw puzzle together.

Yesterday I started doing searches with google.com.au entering names like "Isaac Essex" and went through all the names in "quotes". It was labourious but worthwhile because I found a story on a webpage which gives the name and phone number of someone who is a possible descendant. I've since found his address via the white pages online.

There's some death details James Essex maybe he was a grandson of Isaac?
via this link

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nswsdps/ausde089.htm

I've got to go out now but I'll search some other Aussie sites later for your Essex folk, no promises but I'll let you know how I go.  :D :D

Regards,
Candy
ANDERSON, BRIDGE, LILLEY, LINNETT, POTTER, QUERRY, SKINGSLEY, TAYLOR, WES(T)LEY :ESS
BLINCO, HOWELL, PRUE, HICKMAN :WAR
BRIDGE, BEARD, CORP, KEECH, JONES, FRY, WHITAKER, MAYHEW, REE :LDN/MDX
BURGESS, CARPENTER, CATER, DIVER, JARVIS, JONES,  :CAM
FRY, HOLE, MONGER, MATCHWICK, NASH, WELLS :SRY
ASHBY, CHADBAND, KEECH, OLIVER, SHELSTON :NTH
BEALE, HAWKINS, MORGAN, PEARCE, SMITH, TULL, WILD :HAM
BEARD, CARTER, MALPASS/MALPUS, WORKMAN :GLS
CLARK, DRAPER, HANSLOW, LAWLEY, REE, WINWOOD :SAL
THUSTIN :BKM