Author Topic: Changes to Family Search website  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to Family Search website
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
It keeps the grey matter ticking over when changes take place, nothing stays the same in technology.
We just have to adapt.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
I've just come off the familysearch website and it was with some disbelief that results kept coming back that there were no (Welsh) McCarthy surnames born in Wales.  Neither was there any Maccarthy; Mac-carthy; McArty;, etc. etc.

A bit strange as a few years ago there were hundreds to be found.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 16:48 BST (UK) »
Sure there are.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.surname=mccarthy&f.collectionId=1783957

Thanks for conjuring up that page of 100 McCarthy/MCarty, etc. Erato.  I appreciate your efforts.

If you could find Daniel McCart(h)y born in Cardiff between 1839-1840 with parents Patrick and Mary I'd be obliged.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
I know you asked Erato, but .....

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7W4-7JF

(sorry, Erato)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Erato, who showed the way, via "Browse all Collections".   :)  Now I can get back to the way I used to search!  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 23:17 BST (UK) »
I know you asked Erato, but .....

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7W4-7JF

(sorry, Erato)

Thanks Gadget.

I have that 1841 census, which shows parents Patrick and Mary.   There were three Daniels born in Cardiff during 1839.  I already have the birth record which has illegible writing for the mother's surname. The mother's surname doesn't match any Irish records for a marriage to Patrick or  as a mother to the two older children born in Ireland.

Once again, thankyou, I appreciate your thoughts.

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 September 21 03:57 BST (UK) »
"Not Happy Jan" with the new search

This just occurred for me
all ticked Exact.
Searching Sarah Day, father George.
I'm getting "Something Went Wrong
Unfortunately, something went wrong, and we are unable to display the search results. Try refreshing the page, or come back later."

Adding Location Middlesex, I get 11 results

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 September 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
Re. the latest FamilySearch interface. As I wear varifocals I now have to continually move my head from side to side, to focus on each entry after a search. No more running my eye down the results list to see a possible match. Must be even worse if you have a very large computer screen. I might have to get the optician to make me some "computer gogs"

Every major change that FS make seems to make it more difficult to do a simple search. The last was when they changed baptisms and you get all those "father of the child" entries instead of every child, which produces too many duplicates. Ditto with the marriages, you get "father of the bride" entries all the time! Have you found this makes your searches easier?

Gen in Northumberland, England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE