Author Topic: Censoring of soldiers' letters home  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Censoring of soldiers' letters home
« on: Wednesday 29 September 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
I have a collection of letters written by a soldier on Active Service in WW2, some in plain brown envelopes others are in Active Service Army Privilege Envelopes. I believe that the former would be read by an appointed officer (?) and then stamped (often 'Released by Base Censor) and signed or initialled by that person. The latter are, I think, self-censored, with the soldier signing a declaration on the front of the envelope that reads "I certify on my honour that the contents of this envelope refer to nothing but private and family affairs". They then have a 'Passed by Censor No ....' (the number varies). The same Censor stamp seems to have been used on the ordinary envelopes as well as the Privilege ones. Am I right in thinking that the person appointed as the Base Censor would stamp both of these types, but just not read the Privilege ones?

Does anyone know if it is possible to identify who the Censor was by the number on the stamp? Would the stamp number be allocated to an individual who would carry it for the duration, or could the person using that numbered stamp change?

Sorry if this is somewhat garbled - I've struggled to explain myself, having limited knowledge of military terms and structures
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Censoring of soldiers' letters home
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 September 21 00:29 BST (UK) »
I presume your query relates to British service personnel, but below are the rules regarding US Army Censor's Stamps during WW1. I dare say the same rules carried over to WW2.

"Each stamp will be numbered and registered; and in this way the origin of communications can be traced when necessary. Stamps will be furnished by Division Quartermasters and issued by Division Adjutants. In the case of organizations not attached to divisions special instructions will be issued by these headquarters. When an issue of censor stamp is cancelled the holder of the cancelled pattern will forward to the Division Adjutant a statement that the stamp has been destroyed.

The censor stamp will not be used by anyone except the officer to whom it is issued or by an officer designated by him. When not in use it will be kept under lock and key or on the person of the officer to whom issued. The loss of a stamp will be reported by telegram to the Division Adjutant. A new stamp with a new number will then be issued and the old number cancelled. When the name or designation of an organization changes sufficiently to require a new stamp. the old one will be destroyed and a new one asked of the Division Adjutant".

From what I understand, the Censors tended to read all of the letters.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 September 21 08:03 BST (UK) »
I presume your query relates to British service personnel, but below are the rules regarding US Army Censor's Stamps during WW1. I dare say the same rules carried over to WW2.

"Each stamp will be numbered and registered; and in this way the origin of communications can be traced when necessary. Stamps will be furnished by Division Quartermasters and issued by Division Adjutants. In the case of organizations not attached to divisions special instructions will be issued by these headquarters. When an issue of censor stamp is cancelled the holder of the cancelled pattern will forward to the Division Adjutant a statement that the stamp has been destroyed.

The censor stamp will not be used by anyone except the officer to whom it is issued or by an officer designated by him. When not in use it will be kept under lock and key or on the person of the officer to whom issued. The loss of a stamp will be reported by telegram to the Division Adjutant. A new stamp with a new number will then be issued and the old number cancelled. When the name or designation of an organization changes sufficiently to require a new stamp. the old one will be destroyed and a new one asked of the Division Adjutant".

From what I understand, the Censors tended to read all of the letters.

My uncle Lieut. J.P.H. Guy, mentioned having to censor troops letters in letter he sent home to his parents during WWII (even his own). It seemed to be something that was mainly squeezed into spare time either first thing in the morning or last thing at night.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 September 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
In the interests of security yes it had to be done .
Imagine though the yearning and heartache  which the soldiers would want to put in their letters home , and their wives and girl friends letters to them and feeling constrained knowing  letters would be read by someone else before the intended recipient.The soldiers’ letters at least.
Think of love letters you have received and sent then how aggrieved you would be knowing they  have been read by a third party already.

I am blushing!

Many I have read from those times were pretty mundane but read between the lines and men not used to expressing themselves by writing or even saying and they don’t give a true picture at all.
S.W.A.L.K.——  ;D
Viktoria.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 September 21 09:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry Hillhurst, I should have added that it was British soldiers I was referring to. Nevertheless your explanation of US Army rules is interesting and you may well have answered my question as it applied to British troops. Thank you.

Thank you also Guy. Your uncle’s account probably explains why there was sometimes a delay of several days between my soldier writing his letter & it being ‘Passed by Censor’ (although on more than one occasion I suspect it resided in his pocket for several days!)
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 21 09:59 BST (UK) »
Yes Viktoria- that reflects my soldier’s experience. Several times he mentioned feeling constrained by the need for his letters being read by someone else, but the ‘Army Privilege Envelope’ meant he was freer to express his feelings which, as you suggested, he didn’t find easy in the early months of their relationship. He had a bad relationship with his Orderly Room Sergeant & often complained about him in plain envelope letters - I’ve often thought he maybe hoped the officer who was the base censor would pick that up and do something about it!

I’ve got a copy of a government issue guide for censors which explains some of the ways in which the troops conveyed ‘hidden’ or coded messages, (SWALK being one of the more obvious ones) but I don’t think my soldier was aware of them. I’ve Looked Out for subtle clues but disappointedly haVe bEeen unable to find any! (I’ve hidden one in this sentence)
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 September 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
Yes,  Australians  mail home in both world Wars was also censored, and LOVE spread throughout the letters  as Brewins Girl has done   :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 September 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has researched (interviewed?) and written about what it felt like to be a censor? I can imagine at times it must have been so boring!
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 September 21 12:57 BST (UK) »
Yes,  Australians  mail home in both world Wars was also censored, and LOVE spread throughout the letters  as Brewins Girl has done   :)

JM

Liverpool Evening Standard, 21 Mar 1945
Puzzled
Here is an extract from a letter received from the office of the Base Censor to a young Australian subaltern:
"With reference to the jigsaw puzzle you posted to Miss ____ of ____ you are advised that a great deal of time and trouble had to be devoted by this office to putting the puzzle together in order to ensure that it contained no violation of security regulations. Your parcel was duly forwarded, but you are requested not to send similar gifts in future".

Magic!