Author Topic: Great Great Grandfather Charles Edwin Somerville / Sommerville  (Read 7086 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Great Great Grandfather Charles Edwin Somerville / Sommerville
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 12 February 22 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  as a Farmer, baptisms of several children, abode as Crookwell River. 

I will type up later, just waiting  on BBQ chef for mains. 

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 12 February 22 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Back...

PARSONS and also PARSON
Church of  England baptisms in the church registers of Rev W Sowerby, St Saviour, Goulburn, NSW.

William and his wife, Elizabeth, of Crookwell River, a Farmer as parents for
Edward, born 5 Oct 1850, baptised 7 May 1851
Maria, born 1 July 1852, baptised 2 October 1852.

I am not sure if this is same couple as Hannah's parents. 

Volumes 1 to 44 are for C of E.
Hannah is indexed for Volume 66.

It needs more investigations.  I will follow up in daylight. 

JM. 8.10 P.M. :D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Loretta.68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 05:49 GMT (UK) »
On Charles Edwin's marriage certificate there is no birthplace listed for him or his bride. Things around my ancestor is becoming clearer but things are still confusing about when he actually arrived in Australia.

As for the Isle of Mann I am only going on what other family members have stated. I now believe he may have been born around 1818 not 1845.

But I cannot thank you all enough for all the information you have given me. Thank you

Still not certain how he arrived in Australia

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 05:59 GMT (UK) »
. I now believe he may have been born around 1818 not 1845.

Why?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  re that marriage,  can you please check who was the clergy, and also the denomination.

Does the cert include the names of all four parents including maiden names for the mothers?

Does it include occupations for their fathers?

Are there notes outside the margins .... perhaps right hand side, towards bottom to the cert?

Is there any notation from the NSWBDM to show any reconciliation between the church registers and the NSW register. dated between 1912 and 1913,  initials,  rubber stamps . 

I am suggesting the cert has  elusive blanks... and provided the couple were married by a clergyman,  we should be able to help you follow up aiming to get the elusive info held in the church records.  I am on e reader at the mo, so cannot do live links, but there is a thread to help in RChats NSW resources board.

JM  sorry for typos  one finger typiste when e reader.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Loretta,
Nice to see you online ;D

I wonder if you would look at my reply on your Australian thread.  It's #1

Can you say please if this line of family agrees with what you think.

Thanks,
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loretta.68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 07:25 GMT (UK) »
When is the first definite sighting of him in Australia?
I can only assume that the first sighting of Charles Edwin was in Goulburn in-between 1860 and 1868 when my great grandfather was born in 1868. Other than that, I could not state when the first actual sighting was.

Annie Guildford marriage certificate states she married a Thomas Gale in June 1890
Unsure if Hannah left Charles or if they were divorced or if Hannah just took up with someone else.

If the Charles Edwin that married Hannah Parsons than yes, I do believe that her mother was Elizabeth Woolcock but it could have been Woolcott as well.   
According to an elder family member Charles Edwin was not talk of much either by my great grandfather Charles and great grandmother Catherine. I have no reason why either, possibly a family breakdown or indiscretions. Apparently, Charles Edwin was a scoundrel and a tart so to speak.

Records in Goulburn are not very reliable as I have come to find out. James Somerville could be a family member possibly a brother I just don’t know.

On Charles and Hannah’s marriage certificate it does not stay were either were born which doesn’t help matters. It does state that they were married at St Saviours Church, Goulburn (Catholic), according to the rites of the church of England. Officiating minister Sowerby
On Hannah Guildford’s death certificate, it states father James Parsons and mother Julia, surname unknown. If this is indeed the Hannah that married Charles Edwin. I cannot find a death Certificate for Hannah Somerville. Another Hannah Parson’s states parents were William and Elizabeth.

I am at the same belief that the Charles Edwin Somerville born in the Isle of Mann is not my Great Great Grandfather.

Joining the dots has been via family stories but it doesn’t seem reliable so it has been a guessing game, researching, buying dozens of births, deaths, marriages certificates. And yes, there is a lot of conflict and it has been really frustrating for me to figure out my past. And it has been really hard to find reliable and accurate information about my GGF Charles Edwin.

Why I believe Charles Edwin may have been born in 1818. There is a Charles Somerville/Sommerville buried in Narromine Cemetery, that could possibly be Charles Edwin. I do know he did frequent the area around Dubbo driving trucks.

Offline Loretta.68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue

Yes that is basically how I see my family tree to date. I am certain about my Father Anthony Somerville and My Grandparents Charles and Sarah and my Great Grandparents Charles and Catherine. Beyond that where my great grandfathers , parents are concerned are a mystery. Which is really frustrating

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 17 February 22 07:23 GMT (UK) »
. I now believe he may have been born around 1818 not 1845.

Why?

Possibly because of this family tree online

http://www.wwjohnston.net/famhist/stblazey/tng/getperson.php?personID=I4584&tree=stblazey

Sue

Why I believe Charles Edwin may have been born in 1818. There is a Charles Somerville/Sommerville buried in Narromine Cemetery, that could possibly be Charles Edwin. I do know he did frequent the area around Dubbo driving trucks.

Is this some kind of typo?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk