Author Topic: Great Great Grandfather Charles Edwin Somerville / Sommerville  (Read 6957 times)

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great Great Grandfather Charles Edwin Somerville / Sommerville
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 17 February 22 07:55 GMT (UK) »

Following from my previous post a moment ago......

Why I believe Charles Edwin may have been born in 1818. There is a Charles Somerville/Sommerville buried in Narromine Cemetery, that could possibly be Charles Edwin. I do know he did frequent the area around Dubbo driving trucks.

This man was aged either 74 or 71 at death in 1909. (b. c. 1835)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/227032793

He was a storekeeper according to the 1903 electoral roll for Narromine.

SOMMERVILLE Charles
2485/1909
74 YRS
At NARROMINE

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 17 February 22 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Posted at #20

the will for the 1909 Charles is on FindMyPast

he is a Tobacconist. He spells his name Summerville and he has no second name.
he leaves all his personal estate to his partner - Robert Anderson
Except for £50 to Myrtle Roset, daughter of Albert & Elizabeth Roset of Narromine
To Mrs Annie Woolcott of Western(?) Port, State of Victoria 90 acres. And if she is dead, to be sold and equal shares given to her children.

Added… I presume you have the death certificate for this man,

What does it say? All fields please

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 17 February 22 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if the following info is relevant, and if so, it it should be on the other thread, but  I share, and I am sure a moderator would be able to delete or modify it if it is not suitable or if it is not actually contributing to advancing the quest for our OP.

One of the first non horse driven vehicles in the central western districts of NSW arrived into Bathurst.  That was a steam car for Dr Mac Hattie in Bathurst in around 1903.    I think you may find that motorised commercial trucks arrived after the 1930s Great Depression, and that it was still possible that many families relied on horse and sulky well into the 1950s in and around Dubbo, Narromine and towards Parkes, Cumnock, Wellington and down through Molong, and back towards Eugowra.     

I was born in 1947 in the Central West (on the Lachlan).  I have strong memories of bullock wagons moving bales of Wool and of live sheep being moved by steam trains pulling 100 or more sheep trucks on the railway lines, heading off to Homebush Meat Works after a huge fire at Daroobalgie (its near Forbes) Meat Works in around 1962 or 1963.  I also remember a school teacher in the 1950s telling us about their own first time seeing the first motor car to arrive in Condo (as in Condoblin) and in Dubbo.   I also remember the Queen arriving in Dubbo in 1954 and many people came for hundreds of miles, on wagons pulled by oxen,  not many motorised vehicles at all.  The ‘pews’ in our church were loaded onto the back of a wagon, and we went to Dubbo seated on the back of that type of wagon (huge team of oxen all harnessed up, men walked with whips to keep the oxen in order.   This was from one of our uncle’s farms, our near Oakdene so I guess that would be about 15 miles into Dubbo Showgrounds where the Queen drove around in an open carriage waving.     

Until motorised vehicles arrived in the western districts of NSW,  the usual meaning of the word ‘truck’  was associated with the opening up of the western line of railways in the 1880s   Truck is still the word used in NSW for the open top ‘carriage’ moving coal from the mine to the power station to make electricity. 

So for example in 1900, in the Dubbo newspapers commercial sections, there would be articles about the trucks moving cattle, sheep etc from Dubbo by rail.      These were the cattle trucks and the sheep trucks where the drover and his plant would deliver the graziers herd to the railway yard (near the sales yard) and assist with loading the live stock onto the train – either to deliver them to a railway yard along the railway line or take them all the way to the Meat Works.   

Narromine got a railway line in the early 1880s.   It was part of the line from Sydney to Bourke, the Main Western Line.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 18 February 22 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if Annie Woolcot could be Annie Maria born 1870

But you and others have her married to Thomas GALE
Why is that?   The marriage registry has her surname as GUILFORD
and the marriage of one of her children also has her maiden name as GUILFORD

Did she marry previously?  she would have been 20. So not much time for that.
or did Hannah leave Charles (or v.v.)  and take up with Mr Guilford?

I see Hannah's mother is said to be Elizabeth WOOLCOCK which is very similar to WOOLCOTT.   But if Annie Woolcott is somehow connected that way then it seems even more weird that he apparently leaves nothing to his own son and daughter. 

Hoping you come back on line soon to explain all this.

mckha489 has here begun to clarify the confusion in your tree about Annie Maria .

I am putting in some extra information so you can eliminate the line of thinking as you have it.
Much of this information has been given previously. 

A woman named Annie GUILFORD married
5846/1890
GALE Thomas
GUILFORD Annie
ORANGE

There was this child born
GALE Ida M
12921/1891
Parents Thomas  & Annie M
FORBES

This child Ida married David BEVAN who died in an accident. Her mother Annie GALE testified.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/139603722

Annie M GALE died
GALE Annie Maria
31824/1951
Father GUILFORD
Mother HANNAH
At FORBES

Annie Maria's mother had died in 1902.
GUILFORD Hannah
13637/1902
Parents JAMES & JULIA
At FORBES

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loretta.68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 24 February 22 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Family research can be very frustrating especially when the dots don't seem to add up. Like with my GG Grandfather Charles Edwin. Also because names where spelt wrong, missing information on documents.

Possible link to Charles Edwin is Edward Charles Somerville unsure of birth but he had a son Andrew Edward Charles Somerville possibly born in Bathurst. DNA suggest his daughter is a 2nd/3rd cousin. So maybe a clue might be there.

What Charles Edwin did after the birth of my great grandfather Charles Edward Somerville in Goulborn is a mystery. Or even where he went I cannot state. The aunt to start the family tree has dementia. I have had more luck on my mothers side than my fathers side except my grandmothers side.

But all the clues , hints you all have given me has been interesting and I have been doing some more research. There is a hint out there somewhere just need to find it easier said than done

If I don't respond I will apologize in advance as dealing with some medical issues

Loretta