Author Topic: Catherine McGregor in Alloa  (Read 1118 times)

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine McGregor in Alloa
« on: Saturday 02 October 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
I've never been satisfied with parentage for Catherine McGregor (1784-1828?) wife of John Mitchell. The closest I can get is a baptism to the child of Alexander McGregor & Elizabeth in Aberfoyle, Perthshire 1784 and I continue to wonder about the likelihood of movement around Scotland in the 18thc.

The Mitchells seem very established in Alloa - were young women from Perthshire wandering about Clackmannashire to find young men? Were the McGregors largely from Perth or further afield?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McGregor in Alloa
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 October 21 17:36 BST (UK) »
Have you found a record of their marriage? If so does it say they are both in the parish or is Catherine from elsewhere?

What is the year of the marriage?

Are there any McGregor witnesses to the baptisms of any children?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 October 21 17:55 BST (UK) »
Is this the correct family?

JOHN MITCHELL   Married    CATHARINE MCGREGOR   04/04/1807   Alloa

MITCHELL   ANNE           11/05/1808
MITCHELL   ELIZABETH   14/01/1810
MITCHELL   CATHARINE   23/02/1812
MITCHELL   JOHN           25/09/1814
MITCHELL   CATHERINE   00/04/1817
MITCHELL   ALEXANDER   28/04/1819
MITCHELL   MARJORY   07/03/1824
MITCHELL   WILLIAM   03/04/1825
MITCHELL   MARY   25/09/1827

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 October 21 17:56 BST (UK) »
Is this the correct family?

JOHN MITCHELL   Married    CATHARINE MCGREGOR   04/04/1807   Alloa

MITCHELL   ANNE           11/05/1808
MITCHELL   ELIZABETH   14/01/1810
MITCHELL   CATHARINE   23/02/1812
MITCHELL   JOHN           25/09/1814
MITCHELL   CATHERINE   00/04/1817
MITCHELL   ALEXANDER   28/04/1819
MITCHELL   MARJORY   07/03/1824
MITCHELL   WILLIAM   03/04/1825
MITCHELL   MARY   25/09/1827

Colin
Yes that's the same family.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 October 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
I do not see a record for Catherine in Clackmannan but the record may not have survived, if they did follow the naming pattern of the time a better match below but still Perthshire I’m afraid, some 35 miles from Alloa..

MCGREGOR CATHARINE   ALEXANDER MCGREGOR/ANN MCLAREN    24/03/1789   Dull

Do you know when & where John was born?

I note on SP there are some death records in Alloa for some years prior to 1855 but no Catherine?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 October 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
This seems to be the marriage of Catherine’s parents. Catherine appears to be their only child, however according to the list of what records are on SP Dull is not listed, however there are baptisms and marriages but no deaths, so did they move elsewhere?

ANN MACLAREN   To    ALEXANDER MACGRIGOR   10/03/1788   Perth

Colin

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 October 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
I do not see a record for Catherine in Clackmannan but the record may not have survived, if they did follow the naming pattern of the time a better match below but still Perthshire I’m afraid, some 35 miles from Alloa..

MCGREGOR CATHARINE   ALEXANDER MCGREGOR/ANN MCLAREN    24/03/1789   Dull

Do you know when & where John was born?

I note on SP there are some death records in Alloa for some years prior to 1855 but no Catherine?

Colin

John was born in Alloa as was his father. Catherine's last child as Isabella b in 1828 while John is recorded in the 1841 Census so she's dead by then.

Whether her family moved around I don't know.

However, spurred by your comments I do see a couple of McGregors in Clackmannashire in the right time period. Thank you. It seems far more likely to have married someone from closer by.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 October 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
I've never been satisfied with parentage for Catherine McGregor (1784-1828?) wife of John Mitchell. The closest I can get is a baptism to the child of Alexander McGregor & Elizabeth in Aberfoyle, Perthshire 1784 and I continue to wonder about the likelihood of movement around Scotland in the 18thc.

The Mitchells seem very established in Alloa - were young women from Perthshire wandering about Clackmannashire to find young men? Were the McGregors largely from Perth or further afield?

Though Alloa & Aberfoyle were market towns it is perfectly possible that John Mitchell may have travelled to Stirling market and possible that Catherine McGregor also visited Stirling market.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 October 21 21:07 BST (UK) »

Though Alloa & Aberfoyle were market towns it is perfectly possible that John Mitchell may have travelled to Stirling market and possible that Catherine McGregor also visited Stirling market.
Cheers
Guy
That's of course useful information, Alas John Mitchell was a miner so I wonder about whether he'd be going to market in that case. Nonetheless, Thank you.