Author Topic: Catherine McGregor in Alloa  (Read 1117 times)

Offline John Andrew Hutchison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McGregor in Alloa
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 October 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If it helps, I think Alex and Elizabeth McGregors were from Brig o' Turk, Callander, and moved to Culligart, Loch Katrine;

30/05/1776 ALEXANDER MCGRIGOR+ELISABETH MCGRIGOR Callander
31/05/1776 ALEXANDER MCGREGGOR+ELIZABETH MCGREGGOR Kippen
09/07/1777 ALEXR. MCGREGOR/ELIZABETH MCGREGOR JANET Callander [Bridge of Turk]
26/09/1779 ALEX. MCGREGOR/ELISABETH MCGREGOR MARGARET Callander [Bridge of Turk]
19/03/1782 ALEX. MCGREGOR/ELISABETH MCGREGOR ELISABETH Callander [Bridge of Turk]
14/11/1784 ALEXANDER MCGREGOR/ELIZABETH MCGREGOR KATHARINE Aberfoyle [Callagart More]

And this could be them;

01/06/1787 ALEXANDER MCGREGOR/ELIZABETH MCGREGOR MARY Kilmadock

If so, then the family were drifting east from Aberfoyle/Callander.

John.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 October 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting progression. I've found a James McGregor m Elizabeth McNaughton in Alloa 25 May 1776 that seems a likely couple even though your Calligart More couple has the right birth date. I think McGregors already in Alloa are more likely. But I'm pondering it.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 October 21 20:41 BST (UK) »

If so, then the family were drifting east from Aberfoyle/Callander.

John.

As I mentioned above I'm looking at a couple married in Alloa - they seems to have been from Alva - which is describe both as being in Stirlingshire  And in Clackmannanshire, though it does not appear on a boundary. Any idea about that?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 October 21 17:50 BST (UK) »
According to the Statistical Account of Scotland (1796), Alva "is a part of the county of Stirling, though it happens to be totally disjoined from every part of it .... it is surrounded by the shire of Clackmannan on the east, south and west, and on the north, it is bounded by a part of the county of Perth".

The New Statistical Account (1845) repeats this information and adds, "Since the passing of the Reform Bill*, Alva has been politically incorporated with Clackmannan, but is still absurdly connected with the county of Stirling, for judicial purposes."

*1832 IIRC

So in 1796 and 1845 it belonged to Stirlingshire, but was mostly inside Clackmannanshire. It is probably one of the anomalies that was corrected in about 1890 when a lot of the more curious parish and county boundaries were rationalised.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 October 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you!