Author Topic: Who is Joan?  (Read 714 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Who is Joan?
« on: Monday 04 October 21 06:23 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find Joan the wife of Nicholas Flack(e)

That couple baptised nine children in Lindsell, Essex from 1600 to 1618, I've searched for the marriage in FreeReg, Ancestry, Family Search and an initial search in FindMyPast, without outstanding failure.  :)

Nicholas Flacke was baptised 24 Aug 1576 at Lindsell, parents Thomas and Ann Flacke, Nicholas was buried 15 Aug 1624 at Lindsell.

I suspect that the wife of Nicholas Flacke is Joane Poole baptised 28 Aug 1575 at Lindsell the daughter of John Poole but I have no evidence to support that theory, all I can comment is I couldn't find a feasible marriage for a the Joane Poole baptised at Lindsell

The first born child of Nicholas & Joan Flacke was Thomas baptised 2 Nov 1600, the second child was John 18 Oct 1602, both baptised at Lindsell, which could be that the son John was named after Joan's father perhaps giving some credence to Joan being Joan Poole, admittedly a long shot.

Nicholas's wife's first name name came from two of their sons entries.
The burial entry for the second of two sons named John, (baptised 1605) who was buried at Lindsell in 1620 named his parents as Nicholas and Joane.

The baptism of son George in 1618 named the parents as Nicholas and Joane.

Joan's husband Nicholas Flack was buried at Lindsell in 1624 but I can find no burial for Joan in any Essex parish, a real mystery woman.  :)  I tried searching for a re-marriage for Joan under both Flack and Poole, nothing doing.

If anyone has any ideas please let my know, I'm stumped.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Joan?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 11:49 BST (UK) »
Several records on freereg, use soundex. Sadly no marriage but there were 3 Joane’s baptised in Lindsell.

Nicolas FFLACKE Baptism 24 Aug 1576      Lindsell : St Mary the Virgin : Parish Register
Father Thomas same as the eldest son of Joane

Marriage of their daughter.

Priscilla FLACKE to Robert WOODFINE   Marriage   01 Nov 1631   
Lindsell : St Mary the Virgin : Parish Register
Groom father forename   William
Groom father surname   WOODFINE
Bride father forename   Nicholas
Bride father surname   FLACKE
Witness1   Joane WOODFINE
Witness2   Joane FLACKE
Notes   Witness one and witness two are groom and brides mother's names

So Joane still named Flack in 1631, but no marriage or burial after.

Marriages are supposed to be on FindMyPast if it is not there maybe it has not survived?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Joan?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 21 02:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for checking.

That matches what I have except for the marriage of Priscilla Flack to Robert Woodfine, I have 11 Nov you have 1 Nov, I'll recheck that, you may well have highlighted an error on my part.

I found the burials of Nicholas Flack and his son Nicholas easy enough but not that of the wife, Joan, I'm wondering if, assuming she outlived her husband Nicholas, after he died she went to live with one of her children, perhaps in another county parish not covered by any of the online databases.

I have contacted the owner of the Flack family site to see what she makes of matters, Nicholas Flack is on the site but no info other than that which I had already found, I noted that Joan was shown as born about 1575 which is the same year as Joan Poole was baptised.

Some years ago I had contacted that Flack site to give details of a great aunt by marriage and her families.  My paternal grandmother's brother married Councellatta Flack a Romany gypsy lady, so it was almost deja vu, except the Flacks I'm researching now aren't Romanies, at least as far as I know, they and later descendants certainly were settled well in Lindsell.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk