Author Topic: Merchant Navy records CR1 CR2 CR10  (Read 10825 times)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy records CR1 CR2 CR10
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 November 22 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Just to add, the number 158637 which I quoted earlier was my interpretation of the 1939R partial entry. However it is now obvious that this was his second Dis A number R158639, not a ship's number.

Andy

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 November 22 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,
Yes, correct, not a ship number but his Dis. A.

We can rule out Edward Jethro Jackson who was the second officer aboard TIA JUANA
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2362181/edward-jethro-jackson/

We can also rule out any DEMS gunners. I have a listing of all MRA gunners who died at sea. He is not among them.
Gnr Edgar Jackson who died in 1942 was was from Sunderland, Durham and was killed in the Western Desert, Egypt in 1942.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 November 22 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Hugh. Saved me some extra work!
Although a few of the Jackson family went to sea, most of them were marine engineers, so steward is a slightly new line of employment for me, although my (Norwegian) great grandmother was a stewardess with the Allan line (later Canadian Pacific), which is how she met my ggrandfather who was a chief engineer with the same company. I don't suppose many stewards were retained in that role on British ships after the outbreak of hostilities.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 November 22 10:21 GMT (UK) »
On the contrary Andy, Stewards were always an important part of the crew and were retained during hostilities. Many also undertook MSG [merchant seamen gunners] training to assist DEMS at action stations. Do you know if he served during WW2?

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 November 22 10:28 GMT (UK) »
No, the 1939 register is as far as I have got with him. I will need to check the crew agreements to see if he remained in the merchant marine. Unfortunately he is on the outer arm of the Jacksons I am researching so I don't have any anecdotal evidence about his war or afterwards. He had 2 or possibly three daughters born 1932 - 1940, and so the Jackson name ended with him on that particular branch, as far as I am aware at present.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 November 22 11:19 GMT (UK) »
He may or may not have continued to serve at sea during the war. To find out if he served during the war you would need to obtain his form CRS 10 which begins Jan,1941. Usually the records in the Fourth Register of Seamen were transferred into the Fifth Series of Seamen 1941-1972 but some cards do remain. If you are able to visit TNA Kew you should check the following file
BT 382/860 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10989085 it is where his service record will be if it has survived or if he served. It is held in a block of up to 60 other names so best obtained by visit or via a researcher.

It looks like he may have died in Halton, Cheshire in 1980.

First name(s)   Edgar James
Last name   Jackson
Gender   Male
Birth day   29
Birth month   11
Birth year   1901
Age   -
Death quarter   4
Death year   1980
District   Halton
County   Cheshire
Volume   35
Page   0592
Country   England
Record set   England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category   Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory   Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from   Great Britain, England

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 November 22 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hugh. Yes, that's his death in 1980.
I will be visiting Kew in the next couple of weeks so I will check out the reference you gave me. Is there anything I can look up for you while I'm there, by way of thanks for all your help?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 06 November 22 16:33 GMT (UK) »
My query relates to a man named Edgar James Jackson. My starting point was his 1939 register entry which gives his date of birth as 24 Nov 1901 and under occupation it says he was an assistant pantryman on the RMS Carinthia with the date 14 Sep 39 which I take to be the date he signed off the crew.
On FindMyPast there are 3 CR2s for an Edgar James Jackson Plate Pantry Steward, but with a slightly different dob, namely 29/11/02.

This is the d.o.b. on the 1939 image, I'd say that it is 29 Nov 1901, same as his CR2s?
EDIT sorry its the same day and month but yes a different year on the CR2. I got hung up on the day discrepancy

Boo