Author Topic: Immigration Schemes  (Read 1321 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration Schemes
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 October 21 06:53 BST (UK) »
Rev TAIT  :D - son of Mr Tait perhaps?

https://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/tait-george-8739

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 October 21 07:29 BST (UK) »
You need to account for all children born to James ALLEN and Elizabeth in case your John Edwin travelled to NSW with a sibling. A death certificate, NSW, 1889, will record children, with, hopefully, names and ages.  When James dies, 1889, his children are around which would encourage you to hope that they record useful information on father's death certificate.

This death certificate would be useful for your research.

NSW BDM death
1658/1889 ALLEN James  age 86 years   died Sydney

Sydney Morning 24 Oct 1889 p1
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13746676?
ALLEN. —October 23, at his daughter's residence, Carlton House, Surry Hills, James Allen, formerly of her Majesty's Royal Horse Artillery, Woolwich, England, in the 87th year of his age.

Sydney Morning Herald 25 Oct 1889 p12
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13746960?
THE FRIENDS of Mr. and Mrs. CHAWLOR are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of the late
Mr. JAMES ALLEN; to move from Carlton House, No. 12, Bellevue-street, Surry Hills, THIS (Friday) AFTERNOON, at half-past 1 o'clock, for the Necropolis.

(I think this is a clumsy effort at CHANILOR)

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 October 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,
I have both James Allen and his wife Elizabeth ( Catherine ) death certificates.
I have accounted for all their children.
Thomas the eldest was born in Ireland 1827 - He came to Australia much later than the rest of the family - 1868@  I have his death cert.
Susannah Allen was also born in Ireland (Whilst James was stationed with the Royal Horse Artillery) Susannah married Joseph Chanelor in England and they were both on the same ship "Hindostan" with her father James and mother Elizabeth Allen immigrating to Australia in 1857.
John Edwin Allen was not on the ship as his death certificate states he was in the colony for 14 years before his death - 1862 - 14 =  1848

I have John Edwin Allen's death certificate, he died very young in 1862 leaving a wife and 3 small children under 5.

Jane also came to Australia with parents in 1857 she never married and died a spinster
Elizabeth also came to Australia with parents in 1857 she married a Charles Graham in 1870 no issue are stated on her death certificate

This family is located on the 1841 census but the surname has been spelt ALLAN not ALLEN at Wesgate  In 1851 they are located in Willesborough Kent as James was no longer in the army. Only the 2  yougest daughters are on this census.
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 October 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
In you original post you say "I'm trying to find how my 2 X great grandfather came to Australia".

The National Archives www.nationalarchives.gov.uk has a number of important records for newly arrived Australian migrants.  The Colonial Office papers relating to the governance of New South Wales during the nineteenth century all contain names of emigrants.  They can be found in series CO 201, CO 202, CO 360 and CO 369.  Censuses were taken at various points from 1788 onwards and are recorded in series HO 10. 

The above papers may give a clue as to how John Edwin Allen travelled to Australia.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 October 21 13:19 BST (UK) »
Many of those who arrived into New South Wales in the 1840s from overseas,  came 'steerage'  and their names were often not individually listed.  .... just noted on the manifest as .X in steerage.  At 14 he would have been counted as an adult.   

The NSW census records for 1828 and fragments for 1841 exist.  Too early to help our poster's quest.   The 1891 householder return is the 'next  extant one.... Too late to help our poster's quest.

NSW state Archives has ships' passenger lists  including digitised images freely available at their website, in chronological order of arrival.   

Re the blanks on the NSW marriage cert,  missing info on the parents etc.   Not at all unusual for that era, civil registration commenced March 1856, many clergy sent only summary info to the Reg Generals Office, but had all the details on their local church registers.  You shared the names of witnesses,  for NSW 2311/1857 marriage, but can you confirm the name of the clergy and the denomination please... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 October 21 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Majm

John Edwin Allen's marriage certificate transcription I have   Registration # 2311
6 Feb 1857
Parramatta
Church of Scotland
John Allen
Bachelor
Servant
Minister  -  James Coutts

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 October 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi ScobieDrom
Thanks for that information regrading the National Archives.
I will sit and try and see how to search those papers - Thanks for the tips
Janette