Author Topic: Was it common for a man to serve in two different regiments ?  (Read 941 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Was it common for a man to serve in two different regiments ?
« on: Thursday 07 October 21 03:38 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering how common it was for a man to serve in two different regiments over the course of the war.

If so, what would be the most common reasons ?

And would you expect to see two separate service records ?

The specific case involves the South Wales Borderers and the Royal Garrison Artillery
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was it common for a man to serve in two different regiments ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 October 21 04:25 BST (UK) »
My uncle was in 1/5 Leicestershire Regt. At the start of WWII and served in Norway with that regiment in 1940.

I don't have information at hand for the years between 1940 & 1944.

In 1944 he started off in the Leics. Regt., 101 Reinforcement Group, B.W.E.F. Until the end of June 1944.
1st July he was in (or attached to) 12th Parachute Regiment, B.W.E.F. (they were in an infantry role at the time). During this attachment I believe he was still officially in the Leicestershire Regiment.
24th September he was back to 1st Leicestershire Regt. B.L.A. until he was K.I.A. 29th September 1944.

His army records show he was in the Royal Warwickshire Regt. & the Leicestershire Regt.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 21 07:02 BST (UK) »

His army records show he was in the Royal Warwickshire Regt. & the Leicestershire Regt.
Cheers
Guy

Did you find a single service record covering both, or were there two separate service records ?

Did he keep the same service number, or did he have a different service number for each regiment ?
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
It was not uncommon for men to serve in more that one regiment. Sometimes men were transferred because they had skills that could be better used elsewhere - from the infantry to the engineers for men who had worked on railways for example. Other reasons could include reassignment after a period of illness or injury. Towards the end of the war some units were disbanded as they became too small to be effective and men were then redistributed as needed. In all cases that I have seen the men concerned had only one service record which recorded the changes as and when they happened.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 21 08:04 BST (UK) »
My great uncle was at Anzio when he was KIA. He was in 7th Ox & Bucks but they were decimated at Anzio and was transferred to 1/8 Royal Fusiliers (City of London) who suffered equally as badly

I have his service record and it covers all regiments (including General Service Corps) and he kept the same service number throughout

Hope this helps
South Shields, London - Stobbs, Winfield
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley
Oxfordshire - Kinch, Gomm, Probbitts

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
There are 31 WW1 Medal Index Cards for soldiers who served in both the South Wales Borderers and the Royal Garrison Artillery.  Which one is yours?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 October 21 08:40 BST (UK) »
Until 1920 each regiment issued their own service numbers which were unique only within that regiment, so the same number could be issued many times in different regiments. When a serviceman moved, he would be given a new service number by his new regiment.

From 1920, service numbers were 7 digits, later increased to 8 digits.
The service number was then unique to each soldier.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 October 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
There are 31 WW1 Medal Index Cards for soldiers who served in both the South Wales Borderers and the Royal Garrison Artillery.  Which one is yours?

It's an ancestor of a distant relative and I've been asked not to identify the person - sorry.  :)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 October 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
And would you expect to see two separate service records ?

If his records have survived they should be together. But most (circa 70%) WW1 army service records were destroyed by enemy action in WW2.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk