Author Topic: Looking for Tony Brett  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Ian Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Tony Brett
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 October 21 05:24 BST (UK) »
Ian, how have you learned of the missing son, and is your informant/source clear on the dates and details?

The Tony whose dates you have given seems to have been born Tony Sidwell, to parents Stanley Sidwell and Lillian née Jennings, and become a “Brett” on Lillian’s subsequent marriage to Wilfred Brett in 1933.  All of these events were in Lancashire. As Annette says, there’s no obvious link to your Bretts, unless you can shed any further light.

how have I learnt of the missing son?,
The Tony Brett I'm posting about is mentioned in my material grandmother's death notice as her brother and he died in 1987,  how I came about the date 1928 I learnt from freebmd and gro.govt.uk and ancestry ..

there  is no birth certificate on freebmd and gro for Tony..

this makes me believe his mother is my material grandmother  as she would've been 21 at the time of his birth and had Tony out of wedlock before marrying a guy in July 1928

Brett, Andrews, Buck

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 October 21 05:30 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned, there is a birth registration for the person who lived 1928-1987 - but as Tony Sidwell. From what has been found, he seems unlikely to be your man.

What details exactly were given of the mystery brother in your grandmother’s death notice?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ian Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 October 21 05:44 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned, there is a birth registration for the person who lived 1928-1987 - but as Tony Sidwell. From what has been found, he seems unlikely to be your man.

What details exactly were given of the mystery brother in your grandmother’s death notice?
-----------------------------
names of siblings and brother Tony Brett (deceased)
‐---------------------
my grandmother went back to England in 1987 for his funeral
gro has Tony Brett's death certificate in 1987
Brett, Andrews, Buck

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 October 21 08:32 BST (UK) »
Probate index has an administration for Tony Brett - address 19 Bolton Street, Colne, Lancashire.  This  would only give the name of the person who applied to administer his estate. 

Cost £1.50
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=brett&yearOfDeath=1987&page=3#calendar
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 October 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
Presumably your maternal grandmother is Doris Emily Brett who got married in Hastings registration district in September qtr 1928  :-\

She appears in Hastings in 1939 one entry is still redacted which I assume is her elder daughter and not 'Tony' 
.   Deleted as marriage was probably 1931 - both dates have been mentioned in OP's posts

Is her death notice available for us to view online

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 October 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
Think Doris Emily BRETT married in 1931 and went to New Zealand in January 1939 with her husband.
So won't be on 1939 register.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 October 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
how have I learnt of the missing son?,
The Tony Brett I'm posting about is mentioned in my material grandmother's death notice as her brother and he died in 1987,  how I came about the date 1928 I learnt from freebmd and gro.govt.uk and ancestry ..

there  is no birth certificate on freebmd and gro for Tony..

this makes me believe his mother is my material grandmother  as she would've been 21 at the time of his birth and had Tony out of wedlock before marrying a guy in July 1928

OP mentions that their maternal grandmother married in 1928,  I thought for a minute I had lost the plot  ;D

ADDED - this has her marrying in 1931  ;D
I know my material grandmother came from southwark,  Surrey (and her siblings).. I think the reason the birth would not be registered is because if Tony is hers she got pregnant and had him out of wedlock as she did not marry until 1931

Offline Ian Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 October 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
Presumably your maternal grandmother is Doris Emily Brett who got married in Hastings registration district in September qtr 1928  :-\

She appears in Hastings in 1939 one entry is still redacted which I assume is her elder daughter and not 'Tony' 
.   Deleted as marriage was probably 1931 - both dates have been mentioned in OP's posts

Is her death notice available for us to view online

to answer your question  no it was a paper clipping , if it helps I will attach the death notice
Brett, Andrews, Buck

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 October 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
When did Doris die and what did her death notice say about Tony