Author Topic: Francis Norton. Born 1791. Norfolk?  (Read 671 times)

Offline bjn2727

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Norton. Born 1791. Norfolk?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 12:27 BST (UK) »
I apologize if we've been through this before, but I've been out of the loop for a while, and very ill. I am indeed a cousin. And looking for Francis Henry Norton for many years now. I am definitely part of that line, and represent the USA branch of that Norton line. What confused me in the research when I found Henry Norton marrying Ann Ellis where are the ages. Could ANNE have conceived Francis at 11 years old? Some told me that the actual ages in the register could be suspicious. If Henry was born in 1778, he, too, would've been 11 at the time Francis was born. Francis Norton Ellis could be our Francis, Henry Norton. Was told that it was custom for a child born out of wedlock to have the Father's surname as a middle name. At the appropriate time they could drop the mother surname. have more than a few family stories revolving around this. . My email is bjn2727@gmail.com. Francis‘s grandson, Harry George Norton, emigrated to Canada, winding up in New Jersey, USA. Would be interested in sharing info. that you may have, and I may be able to help on this end. All the best, Brian James Norton

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Norton. Born 1791. Norfolk?
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 13:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat bjn2727 .

Hopefully the original poster will answer you soon.

I am not sure why you think Ann was 11 when she had Francis?
When she married in she was a Widow and Henry Norton a Widower.

Aah I see a Tree has her born c 1778 and dying 1829 age 52.

I doubt very much that is her

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)