Author Topic: Married woman buried with maiden name?  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Married woman buried with maiden name?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
Interesting piece. Thanks, Gadget!

The girl's name Frances doesn't appear to be especially popular in Llanfihangel G-g, and if that is where Frances Williams was from, the only likely candidate is Frances d/o Whitlock Williams, baptised in 1769.

Against this being my ancestor, none of Frances Thomas née Williams' descendents give any child the name Whitlock, although there are a few later Whitlocks around the area. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at Whitlock's will, written in 1808 which was after the death of Frances, given her husband had re-married in 1807 as well as the possible burial in 18105. In the will he mentioned that if his children died before him, their share should be divided between the remainder. If this was his intention then it would be unlikely that Frances would be mentioned if she was already dead.

I think it would be worth penciling Frances Williams' burial as a possible.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, for taking the time to look over this.    I usually find that parents of a child who has died will leave something to any children of that child, even if there are other grandchildren who don't get mentioned in the will because their still living parents are legatees.  Which is why I am hesitant about Whitlock, but I agree that he, and his daughter do look likely otherwise.  (I'm quite taken with his house, Moelynys, which I believe has featured in Hinterland)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk