Author Topic: Susan ACKERMAN - born Kew 1821  (Read 669 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Susan ACKERMAN - born Kew 1821
« on: Tuesday 12 October 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
In Jan 1851 a Susan ACKERMAN married an Abraham WOODS in Stepney. She gives her father's name as George ACKERMAN, a Gentleman.  On the 1851 census her birth place is given as Kew and I have found a christening at St Mary Magdalen, Richmond of a Susan ACRAMAN, born Kew, d/o George & Eliza with George described as a Servant.  I can't find a marriage of George & Eliza - can anyone help?
Thankyou.
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susan ACKERMAN - born Kew 1821
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
Any ideas if George Ackerman, witness on the 1851 marriage record, is her father or a brother perhaps?

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 21:13 BST (UK) »
Is Susan the female servant to Louis John Pouchee in the 1841 census in Chiswick?
He was a well-known London typefounder and entrepreneur. He set up a typefoundry in Lincoln’s Inn Fields in 1818, which closed in 1830. He employed skilled engravers who produced finely crafted and ornate decorative alphabets for printed posters. What an interesting employer to work for!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
if that is her, there's a burial 4 Jan 1833 of an Eliza Ackerman aged 45 at St Lawrence, New Brentford.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 23:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Hillhurst for the suggestion and further information about Louis John POUCHEE.  That makes a lot of sense as Susan's husband, Abraham WOODS, was a printer and compositor. 
Thanks also to Osprey for the death of Eliza.  I believe George ACKERMAN possibly married again later in 1833 to a Ruth BRYANT in Isleworth and they were living in New Brentford in 1841. There was a 12 year old George ACKERMAN with them who could have been a brother to Susan.
I'm really grateful for all your help.
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Hillhurst for the suggestion and further information about Louis John POUCHEE. That makes a lot of sense as Susan's husband, Abraham WOODS, was a printer and compositor. 

Well, if Abraham Woods (or relative of his) was a former employee of Pouchee's, then he worked for an employer who is revered today by printing historians. In fact, if it were me, I'd further investigate to confirm a printing/engraving connection to Pouchee.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pouch%C3%A9e

Fans of the rock band Pulp might be familiar with one of Pouchee's alphabets: it was featured on the cover artwork for their "We Love Life" album.

By the way, Isleworth and Brentford parish records are somewhat thin on the ground. So check all the usual sites (Ancestry, FindMyPast, Family Search, FreeReg) for George's marriage to Eliza.