Author Topic: Deceased RAF personnel records - order online  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deceased RAF personnel records - order online
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 June 22 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,

I suspect that you have his Service and Release Book rather than his Service Record (Form 543)

The Service and Release Book has no list of postings only enlistment and final unit for release. The Form543 is a two sided A3 ish sheet that was the index wrapper for his full service file.

No current service record released contains Sport details such as boxing.

Form 543 is Postings, Musterings, Character, Special Qualifications, Trade and Special Course Results etc.

This is the detail of who can apply and what they will get
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Ross

Thanks for the nuggets of gold.  Whilst I was trying to pinpoint where each of his 'photos had been taken, I surfed a few official RAF sites plus a few chat sites and found that the RAF eventually did start to record athletic events.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke