Author Topic: HELP!! Hardys of Templemore, Ireland  (Read 515 times)

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP!! Hardys of Templemore, Ireland
« on: Saturday 16 October 21 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I need some SERIOUS help locating Francis Hardy from Templemore, Ireland.

I have A TON of records that indicate that Francis, his wife Sarah (or Mary), and his 20-year-old son, Francis, came from Templemore, Tipperary, Ireland to Canada in 1830.

The problem is that the only Francis Hardy I can find in Templemore was arrested in 1787, with a friend named James Hall, for robbing a horse and buggy. According to Newspaper articles, he remained in the Fleet for 2 years while awaiting trial. There were a number of other people involved in this robbery (I think it was perhaps one of the rebels groups and they simultaneously robbed a bunch of people at the same time). Francis and James were offered full pardons - even though they maintained their innocence - as long as they went to New South Wales (Australia) to live the rest of their natural lives.

Now here's my question. When someone was sent to Australia like this (he was to work for a little while and then once he had paid back his debts, he would be "free") did the family go with him?

The only way that this could be the correct Francis Hardy is if his family stayed in Ireland when he went to Australia.

OR....I have the wrong Francis Hardy - but this one seems to be the only one who existed in Templemore, Ireland.

SIDE NOTE: Templemore was a military town and wasn't "official" until about 1791 (I think is the date), so it's possible he lived elsewhere in Ireland, but then that brings a whole other issue because there are quite a few.

There is also a possibility that when he arrived in Canada in 1830 that he changed his name....

CAN ANYONE HELP?? I'm running out of patience :)