Author Topic: Windows 11  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 11
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 October 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
I usually get a little orange blob on one of the icons on the taskbar reminding me of an update.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 October 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
Yes I have and I can't find any way to change it.  All it does is postpone the updates. 

I can't find a way to change the auto updates either. ???  You can postpone the updates for up to 35 days apparently.

Settings is now showing this message, not sure it is "Great news"...

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 October 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
I usually get a little orange blob on one of the icons on the taskbar reminding me of an update.
I get that orange blob but it's a reminder to restart the PC so the update takes place.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 October 21 18:39 BST (UK) »
I get that orange blob but it's a reminder to restart the PC so the update takes place.

Yes, I know but I always check in updates for what the update is.

I assume that it would show the same screen as Tillypeg showed in her 10.21 post and can then decline.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 October 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
I suppose the danger is not seeing the orange blob icon, then logging off and shutting down the PC, meaning that the update installs and when you next switch the PC back on, it's all done and dusted.  Presumably you can then uninstall the update - if you can find how to do that with Win11... 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 October 21 20:05 BST (UK) »

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 October 21 20:23 BST (UK) »
Well, those links have provided me with plenty of easy reading, Gadget!  I'm hoping that my choice of "Stay on Windows 10 for now" will suffice.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 October 21 20:46 BST (UK) »
All those who tried to install or who have installed Win11 you now have a new program called Windows PC Health Check now installed. 

Uninstall it (add/remove programs).  Then go to your Program folder and uninstall all the new Programs Windows left you.  Just right click the Icon and uninstall.  Then turn off automatic system updates.  But do remember to check for updates manually once a month and only pick the ones you want/need.

Those who got the msg saying your PC doesn't qualify for this upgrade it is because your motherboard doesn't have the TPM chip or it hasn't been activated which is the chip that Windows uses for its new and improved security platform.  The majority of boards don't have this so your PC isn't finished.  Many of Intel's new boards as in 2021, don't have it either.

I have Win11 on a notebook, I uninstalled all the new programs and I turned auto updates off and to be honest its ok it doesn't bite it just looks different.  I'm in my 70's, I like change so I adapt. 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 October 21 09:17 BST (UK) »
I suppose the danger is not seeing the orange blob icon, then logging off and shutting down the PC, meaning that the update installs and when you next switch the PC back on, it's all done and dusted. 

The problem is when I see the orange blob, the update has already been installed and when I next switch off the PC and then turn it on again in the morning, the update has been finished.  The other thing is that sometimes when I go to turn the PC off, I get a message saying Windows will update and turn off when finished. ::)

All those who tried to install or who have installed Win11 you now have a new program called Windows PC Health Check now installed. 

I wondered where that had come from.

But do remember to check for updates manually once a month and only pick the ones you want/need.

How will we know which ones we want/need?