Author Topic: Diary week ending 24th October  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary week ending 24th October
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 24 October 21 00:08 BST (UK) »
Such lovely pics of the twins Annette, they’re so sweet…
Sounds like your trip to York was enjoyable despite the biting wind. It’s such a wonderful place to visit… we went many years ago when our children were younger so 35yrs + I should think.. the Jorvik hadn’t been up and running for too long and our two were intrigued with the smells and sounds! Wonder if that’s still the case…

That’s Roobarb for your commiserations… they’re still waiting to hear the PCR results….

I’ve had trouble with Tesco’s site too today as I wanted to book a slot for next week… I should think it’s causing utter chaos!
Wasn’t it M&S who started off as a penny bazzar….

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 24 October 21 00:22 BST (UK) »
Well almost finished knitting a very simple teddy for new baby .
I will do a pink dress etc,
Did one for FH.
Was looking at photos as I dusted the other day ,a frame with multi places for photographs in one big frame.
One of FH with his teddy.

Well I am not going to Shropshire ,not heard from friend’s son re Covid testing results but will phone tomorrow ,after cancelling the hotel.
I think it best I don’t  go.
Daughter trying to organise Christmas,we would like us all to be together .
The way things are going that might not be possible .
I feel it would be wrong to travel to my daughter’s on a train.
A young fairly recently delivered mum might be very vulnerable.
Daughter will drive up I know but five hours in the depths of winter !
We will just have to wait and see.

Nice to read all the news, but so sorry some are having a tough time .        We   have all been careful  yet take Roobarb as example , so careful but still became ill.That really flabbergasted me!

Well I look as if I have visited the nit Nurse !
The hairdresser really scalped me, it is a nice cut but shorter than I wanted .
Ah well, next visit in late November but I can see it not needing to be done again so soon.

Waiting at the bus stop for a bus which was due but in fact was ten mins late.A group of young teenagers came to the stop.
The pavement is a bit narrow at that point and a big  waste bin is there also .
Well these kids were all over the place, so rude to passers by - Ramsbottom is busy on Saturdays - they blocked the pavement and one lad messing about, not looking bumped into a passing child who was pushed off the edge of the pavement .
The small boy’s father remonstrated ,the offender did not apologise but at least did not answer back but the whole group sniggered and laughed when the family had passed by.
Whatever is happening to some children!
One person on the bus made a comment , the group wanted “Child Day Savers” ,OK they were young enough, but boy oh boy—— !the way the girls were dressed. ,not children in that way.
One old lady- not me!- Said they were “ asking for trouble” ::)
Shorts so short and tops so low.

Oh dear I must be getting old or something .
Well time for bed ,Tesco delivery tomorrow so first job in the morning is  the   fridge  washed out etc,
So Goodnight and take care.
Viktoria.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 24 October 21 00:26 BST (UK) »
Such lovely pics of the twins Annette, they’re so sweet…
Sounds like your trip to York was enjoyable despite the biting wind. It’s such a wonderful place to visit… we went many years ago when our children were younger so 35yrs + I should think.. the Jorvik hadn’t been up and running for too long and our two were intrigued with the smells and sounds! Wonder if that’s still the case…

That’s Roobarb for your commiserations… they’re still waiting to hear the PCR results….
Well almost finished knitting a very simple teddy for new baby .
I will do a pink dress etc,
Did one for FH.
Was looking at photos as I dusted the other day ,a frame with multi places for photographs in one big frame.
One of FH with his teddy.

Well I am not going to Shropshire ,not heard from friend’s son re Covid testing results but will phone tomorrow ,after cancelling the hotel.
I think it best I don’t  go.
Daughter trying to organise Christmas,we would like us all to be together .
The way things are going that might not be possible .
I feel it would be wrong to travel to my daughter’s on a train.
A young fairly recently delivered mum might be very vulnerable.
Daughter will drive up I know but five hours in the depths of winter !
We will just have to wait and see.

Nice to read all the news, but so sorry some are having a tough time .        We   have all been careful  yet take Roobarb as example , so careful but still became ill.That really flabbergasted me!

Well I look as if I have visited the nit Nurse !
The hairdresser really scalped me, it is a nice cut but shorter than I wanted .
Ah well, next visit in late November but I can see it not needing to be done again so soon.

Waiting at the bus stop for a bus which was due but in fact was ten mins late.A group of young teenagers came to the stop.
The pavement is a bit narrow at that point and a big  waste bin is there also .
Well these kids were all over the place, so rude to passers by - Ramsbottom is busy on Saturdays - they blocked the pavement and one lad messing about, not looking bumped into a passing child who was pushed off the edge of the pavement .
The small boy’s father remonstrated ,the offender did not apologise but at least did not answer back but the whole group sniggered and laughed when the family had passed by.
Whatever is happening to some children!
One person on the bus made a comment , the group wanted “Child Day Savers” ,OK they were young enough, but boy oh boy—— !the way the girls were dressed. ,not children in that way.
One old lady- not me!- Said they were “ asking for trouble” ::)
Shorts so short and tops so low.

Oh dear I must be getting old or something .
Well time for bed ,Tesco delivery tomorrow so first job in the morning is  the   fridge  washed out etc,.
Such trouble getting into the Tesco site, kept refusing my password, then said unusual activity !
Have had to register a new password !

Re M&S Yes in Leeds I seem to remember.
So Goodnight and take care.
Viktoria.

I’ve had trouble with Tesco’s site too today as I wanted to book a slot for next week… I should think it’s causing utter chaos!
Wasn’t it M&S who started off as a penny bazzar….

Caroline

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 24 October 21 00:36 BST (UK) »
It seems to me Viktoria that youngsters seem to be running amok, I spoke to a shop keeper at our top shops, there is a group of about 14/15 year olds who seem to be terrorising shop keepers locally, one Asian  newsagent is thinking of selling up it is so bad, one very strong shopkeeper seems to be trying to get to grips with it, she has CCTV footage showing one lads face, the rest of the yobs were  balaclavered up, this all seems to happen after 2pm , wonder if it is when they come out of school as times are staggered, police don't seem to think there is a problem. It really makes me wonder to be honest, but not all youngsters are like it, no respect.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 24 October 21 01:07 BST (UK) »
They pass the gable wall of my house along an unadopted lane.
Can’t leave anything alone!
I have to make sure any washing of a personal nature is not still on the line,nighties ,underslips ,undies etc ,the comments!
The girls’ language as bad as the boys’.
 If no washing the language is still dreadful and no shame about saying  loudly and openly what they get up to!
I try not to be outside..
The Primary school children are very naughty about messing with other peoples’ property.
I dream of a big ,loud , but harmless dog jumping over the fence ,but there is a not busy,but nevertheless a road where few cars do go along it at the end of the lane .
Could be an accident if the children scattered .
They have no healthy respect for anyone it seems ,not parents,school, head teacher, Police ,so there is no discipline or control .

They are brought up to believe they are important.
Self confidence is good but not the levels of arrogance many display.
We won’t  change  it I am afraid.
Not all are like that but many are ,sadly.
So I have to bring in off the line before 3-15 my black lace stuff!
Likewise my winter coms and flannelette  nighties.
 Honestly!
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 24 October 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
My Tesco delivery driver phoned to ask if she could come early, I was happy with that even though it was almost an hour before my delivery slot! As a result of the chaos caused by the website being down she has very few deliveries today and they've told her she can have the afternoon off.  All of the pickers have been sent home too as they have nothing to do. What mayhem!

Viktoria, it's a good drying day today for you to be flaunting your smalls on the washing line.  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 25 October 21 03:11 BST (UK) »

It's a public holiday today, Monday, being Labour Day NZ and some parts of the country will be making the most of a long weekend though it's well known to be fickle weather being Spring and the full range of conditions, warmish and a bit damp with a peek of sun here and we seem to have lost the strong winds.
#1 sis was born during a storm, celebrated her birthday yesterday albeit fairly quietly, she and #3 sis same as me within the Auckland boundary but different parts. # 2 sis has been 35 years in Brisbane, had booked to visit us all from this coming week for a month but has had to cancel, believes she will get her payment back OK … took some time to get funds back for her cancelled India trip Easter 2020. Have caught up on family chats with all three sisters over the last couple of days, also cancelled our accommodation booked for end of month in Taupo and money refunded. It's an annual event and we booked the same services house as last year and paid in advance, hopefully through welfare another family will be happy to find it vacant as much more affordable than a motel. Also have an AGM next weekend that is now beyond travel for most and will now be an online meet.

A new traffic light system to be introduced once vaccination rates reach the required 90% double jabs for each District Health Board, Auckland DHBs and some there for 1st dose now and nudging 2nd but others a way from catching up, will come with different isolation requirements as well with managed isolation facilites having been consistently the norm and gradually moving now to more being allowed to isolate at home instead of MIQ. Infection rate quite widely distributed across the Auckland region and a smaller number beyond, although have worryingly spiked, still more or less as expected in community, households etc now that it's here. Plenty of opinion being expressed in all directions of course from those with their degrees of online 'knowledge'. Our main newspaper usually shuts down comments quite quickly on their facebook page with a flood of response as soon as an article appears and particularly if it is misinformation but it is also causing some angry division at times with debate. I try to keep up with news but moderate time to it as much as possible and don't interact, enough discussing with husband and the diary here.
 Senior school allowed back in Auckland region but some are choosing to wait a little longer I believe. Northland started term just a couple of days late, calf day at granddaughter's school on Thursday, a rural school tradition, which we've been to last few years but it was a restrained affair this year. Some of the crafts all pupils participate in were done at home and not in the classroom.

Fairly ordinary sort of week disappeared as fast as ever. Did have a bit of commotion outside early Monday evening with the resident birds having a go at what sounded a bit like the regular rosellas and  that doesn't usually happen, turned out it was a blue budgie being chased and it landed high in one of our trees when I appeared. I had read on one of our neighbourhood community pages a few days earlier that a young lady had lost 2, between us we managed to contact her quickly and she soon turned up and by my photo said it was one of hers, however in the meantime after taking a breather it took off again. She was surprised it had got so far over several streets with clipped wings apparently, not really so far as the crow/budgie flies though. Apologised for getting hopes up, she was concerned with that female one being out in wild weather but knowing it was still OK and the male probably gone further afield hoping that they would be spotted again. We've only ever had 2 caged birds ourselves, both escapees that I've managed to capture and allowed to fly around out of the cage but indoors occasionally. The first a lovely canary we had for a few years and never claimed, towards the end he had been a bit poorly and unfortunately went out the way it came in with house wide open at the time and cage disturbed. Then a couple of decades ago came across a yellow budgie in the botanic gardens on my way to work, it was feeding in the grass but I was concerned for its survival in wild, again not claimed but lived with us for years as well. I've kept our cages for such things or to nurse a small injured bird or animal but would sooner the birds be free outdoors, unfortunately some bred in capture do get attacked when free though.

On the bird theme, highlight was a baby grey warbler just out of nest being attended to by parents in full view for us and happy to note that it survived the night and relocated a few times over next day, worry being neighbourhood cats about. They're such tiny birds and often I hear them without seeing as they flit quickly in canopy of trees.

Lotto ticket wasn't any good this week, thanked lady who sold me last one when I cashed it in, then noticed she was also the store supervisor so decided to follow up on my phone call re the ginger loaf previous week being off putting, daughter had agreed it was extra spicy like chilli, anyway said no other calls but offered refund so an acceptable result and said she would investigate further.

Delightful twins in their bespoke tops,Annette. Trick and treaters coming this next week more unlikely than usual for us I think ...