Author Topic: John Sullivan and Catherine Lyons  (Read 778 times)

Offline Lewisjsullivan99

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Sullivan and Catherine Lyons
« on: Monday 18 October 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

New to the forum so exuse any mistakes.

I've been trying to pinpoint my ancestry for sometime now to no avail.

Im searching for my John Sullivans place of birth. I've got him born about 1841 Ireland according to most census returns but no specific location.

John moved to Wales at some stage between 1851-1861. He can't be found on the 1851 census but appears in 1861 in Merthyr tydfil Wales at 2 shepherds row as an iron worker with wife Catherine b 1842 Ireland brother Daniel born 1850 Ireland and Son Denis born 1860 Merthyr.

I've found his marriage certificate for 1860 to Catherine Lyons in Merthyr which lists his father as Patrick Sullivan.

So with the above information that John was born roughly 1841 and he had at least one brother Daniel born 1850 ish to a Patrick Sullivan I've only found two families that closely match the description.

Patrick Sullivan and Anne Mahony from East Schull had
 John b 1841 and a Daniel 1850

Or

Patrick Sullivan and Mary Harrington in Kilgarvan Co Kerry had
John b 1842 and Daniel B 1849

These are the only two families i can see that really match the dates closely but I'm struggling to prove which one it actually is as John and Daniel don't ever give any indication on census records what county they come from.

If there's anyone with the same relatives or who can help shed some light on John and Daniel it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Lew.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Sullivan and Catherine Lyons
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat! I have found Daniel Sullivan - Boarder 29yrs Iron Worker, Dennis Sullivan aged 21yrs Ditto and a Florence Sullivan aged 24yrs Ditto again on the 1881 census living at 1 Rock Road, Glamorgan. John and Catherine 41 yrs and 39 yrs living at 3 French Cottages Cardiff in 1881.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks