Author Topic: Shropshire - Simmons family - Hayward family  (Read 625 times)

Offline djg145

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shropshire - Simmons family - Hayward family
« on: Monday 18 October 21 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am researching the Simmons family, George Simmons born 1819, baptised on the 12th November in Edgmond. He married twice, first to Sarah Treavor and 2nd to Sarah Smith.
I am trying to clarify George's parents Robert Simmons and Sarah.
I have two possibles Fathers:
1.Robert born/baptised 11th February 1787 in Cheswardine the son of Robert and Mary.
2.Robert baptised on the 3rd October 1784 in Moreton Say the son of Robert and Sarah.

I just need to decide which is MY Robert and i dont know how i can do that.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire - Simmons family - Hayward family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 09:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, always tricky trying to decide which couple are the right ones.

I see from George's baptism that Robert is a Labourer.

There is an 1841 census record for a Robert and Sarah living at Edgmond Marsh, Edgmond, Newport, Shropshire

Piece No.905
Book No. 2
Folio No. 24
Page No. 26

Robert's occupation is Ag Lab and his birth county is Shropshire with a birth year given as 1785.  Now if that is correct that would suggest that the 1784 baptism is the best option. 
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
I have found a burial record for a Robert Simmons at Moreton Say on 11 June 1813.  No age is given so difficult to say if that is the Robert baptised in 1784 or if it is the father.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 09:39 BST (UK) »
Having done a slightly different search for burials the 1813 one I found has been given a birth year of 1740 thereby suggesting that this is the father of the Robert bap. 1784.

Unfortunately burial records are not full of information. All you get is the name, place of abode, date buried and age.  No mention of any other family members.

I am having difficulty in finding the Robert baptised in 1787 in the census records. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 11:09 BST (UK) »
Do either of Georges marriages give any information on his father .

Other children baptised at Edgmond with parents Robert & Sarah were Sarah 1817 and William 1822.

Robert Simmons married Sarah Taylor at Edgmond 25 January 1814 - one of the witnesses was a John Taylor, the other was a regular church witness.  They were both of the parish, no mention as to whether either were single.

The 1784 Moreton Say Robert was possibly buried there 05 February 1859 (age 74) as Robert Symmonds of Moreton Wood
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 11:14 BST (UK) »
The 1784 Moreton Say Robert was possibly buried there 05 February 1859 (age 74) as Robert Symmonds of Moreton Wood

This Robert is in Moreton Say in 1851, a widower age 67.  Living with him is his sister Elizabeth Hay also widowed age 78 bn Haslingden, Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline djg145

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, Thank you both for your input, I do have alot of info on the Moreton Say Robert (baptised 3rd October 1784), is Moreton Say near to Edgmond?

I have a Robert marrying Sarah Taylor both of the Parish of Edgmond in 1814.
Though I have no idea if this Robert is the Moreton Say one or another Robert Simmons baptised the 11th February 1787 in Cheswardine.

The Robert and Sarah are - by the look of it the correct family - sadly Sarah died in 1824 aged 31 years old and is buried in St Peter's Church, Edgmond.

Just 5 month's later Robert married Eleanor Smith (I have two contenders for her - one born in 1784 the other 1790) on the 28th August 1824. Both of the Parish of Edgmond, one of the witness is Samuel Simmons. Eleanor died aged 41 years old and was buried on the 17th March 1832 in Edgmond Churchyard. 

This Robert does not hang around and marries Sarah Evans on the 22nd April 1833 this was in Wellington, Shropshire. This Sarah died during the 4th quarter of 1844 in the district of Newport, Shropshire, aged around 61 years old.

Whoever this Robert is, the family above fits in with my family tree, just the fact I dont know which Robert it is, the one from Moreton Say orthe one from Cheswardine.

I have the 1851 Census for Robert from Moreton Say a Widower and living with his sister Elizabeth Hay.

If I was a gambler I would say it was the Moreton Say Robert, but I cannot be sure enough.

Offline djg145

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hello, Just noticed that at Robert Simmons and Eleanor Smith's marriage the witnesses were Samuel Simmonds and Mary Smith. They appear to get married the following year.
I assume they are the brother of Robert and the sister of Eleanor.

It now looks like my Robert will be the one from Cheswardine and his parents Robert and Mary.
Because Robert from cheswardine married Eleanor Smith and the witnesses were his brother and her sister. The folowin year Roberts brother married Eleanors sister Mary Smith, marriage witness by Robert Simmons. This seems to tie into each other.