Author Topic: Oliver Smith – Mariner  (Read 1883 times)

Offline MinnieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver Smith – Mariner
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 February 22 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm also really interested in finding out about Oliver Smith's parents and siblings.  He is my 3 x Great Grandfather, through his son Stewart Smith (1845 - 1893), and then through Stewart's daughter Jane Coser Smith (whose engagement ring I wear every day)!

I have a lot of information about his children and their families but I stop dead at him.  My mother and I have also had some Scandinavian ancestry showing up, which I think it probably through this connection. 

I am also interested in any information about Oliver's wife - Mary Skeogh or Scaife (1816-1885) and her parents, if anyone has anything more about them?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 February 22 05:56 GMT (UK) »
More info for Mary Skeogh or Scaife
After the death of her husband Oliver SMITH, Mary married James CUNNINGHAM in 1861 Tynemouth. On this marriage record, her father is recorded as Robert SKAIFE.

Mary’s parents were Robert SCAIFE (a merchant) and Ruth SENTELL.
Robert was a native of Leith Scotland, or maybe of Beith (depending upon accuracy of transcript). The Scots spelling is more commonly SKEOCH.
Ruth was a native of Windsor / Hallifax, Nova Scotia, daughter of William SENTELL & Ruth CHURCH.
Robert and Ruth married in Nova Scotia on 11 June 1796.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6Z9M-Q3HH

In the 1841 census Robert SCAIFE age 65 a merchant, born Scotland is living in Walton on the Hill, Lancashire.
Robert (age 73) was buried 7 Jan 1846 at Edge Hill, St Mary Lancashire. Death rego in Salford District.
Ruth was buried 22 Dec 1835 at Edge Hill, St Mary Lancashire. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/224591602/ruth-scaife

SCAIFE baptisms / births in St Andrew Newcastle upon Tyne to parents Robert SCAIFE (merchant) and Ruth SENTELL - from Bishops transcripts available on FreeReg.
•   Robert (3rd son) born 20 Apr 1803
•   Mary (2nd daughter) born 26 May 1806
•   Edward (4th son) born 29 Aug 1807
•   Joseph Bainbridge (5th son) born 1 Oct 1808
•   Septimus Ellis (7th son) born 10 Jul 1811
•   Ruth Anna baptised 2 Jun 1813
•   Robert Octavian baptised 12 Apr 1815
•   Mary baptised 6 Apr 1818
Notes Added for first 3 children:
* John George (1st son) 1797: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPHQ-9X66?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=K8KJ-CW9
* Caleb (2nd son) 1799: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPHQ-9X6N?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=K8KJ-CW9
* There is an Elizabeth Scaife born about 1801 Halifax who marries in 1827 Liverpool to John Topham (probably first daughter) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3JJ-5V4?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=K8KJ-CW9

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline MinnieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 February 22 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you sooo much!  This is so helpful and much appreciated!! 😃

Offline jon.e.barker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 February 22 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neale1961 for this rich information. I'm trying to figure out how certain it is that the Mary Smith that married James Cunningham is indeed the same Mary Skeogh/Scaife/Smith that was married to Oliver Smith. Do you have a source for that information other than the matching name on the marriage record?

I have found the marriage record listing the marriage of James Cunningham and Mary Smith elsewhere (Ancestry, FamilySearch) but I can't find a digitized copy of the original record or any other confirming source/evidence that it's the same Mary Smith.

The reason this would be significant is because Ruth Sentell is a confirmed descendant of a passenger on the Mayflower (Richard Warren).

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 February 22 10:56 GMT (UK) »
When Mary Smith marries Cunningham, her father is recorded as Robert Skaife.
You should obtain the marriage certificate to verify.
In the 1871 census Mary Cunningham has in her house, Ellen Smith. (Oliver and Mary Smith had a daughter named Ellen born in 1841.)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline jon.e.barker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 February 22 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neale1961 - I've ordered a copy of the marriage certificate from the UK GRO. I'll update this thread once I receive it.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 February 22 17:00 GMT (UK) »
According to the Bayanne website https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/index.php, there is a record of an Oliver Smith, b.1811, Burra, Shetland, d. 10th June 1872, buried Papil Cemetery, Burra 12th June 1872.

There is also a family tree.

His parents are given as James Smith, Dunrossness, and Barbara Manson, Sandwick, with their marriage date and place 12th December 1809, Sandwick.  Grandparents are Hance Smith (b.1754) and Janet Forbes (b.1755)

Oliver married Jane LAURENSON (b.1821), Bressay, SHI, SCT, (d.Bef 1909), on 7th Nov 1848 at Leebitton, Sandwick, SHI, SCT.

The census information for 1841 and 1851 indicates that the subject was on Havera on both occasions as Monica has already stated.

(Havera (Havra) is an island due south of Scalloway and West Burra)

Istrice

Offline MinnieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 February 24 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Following further information obtained, I'm confident that Mary Skeogh/Skaife's mother was not Ruth Sentell as we thought. 
I have multiple DNA links with relatives of Helen Irvine, from Fair Isle (husband also called Oliver Smith) however, I'm having trouble sorting this lot out...

Offline MinnieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 February 24 08:33 GMT (UK) »
According to the Bayanne website https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/index.php, there is a record of an Oliver Smith, b.1811, Burra, Shetland, d. 10th June 1872, buried Papil Cemetery, Burra 12th June 1872.

There is also a family tree.

His parents are given as James Smith, Dunrossness, and Barbara Manson, Sandwick, with their marriage date and place 12th December 1809, Sandwick.  Grandparents are Hance Smith (b.1754) and Janet Forbes (b.1755)

Oliver married Jane LAURENSON (b.1821), Bressay, SHI, SCT, (d.Bef 1909), on 7th Nov 1848 at Leebitton, Sandwick, SHI, SCT.

The census information for 1841 and 1851 indicates that the subject was on Havera on both occasions as Monica has already stated.

(Havera (Havra) is an island due south of Scalloway and West Burra)

Istrice

Hi, this is not the same Oliver Smith as our Oliver Smith.  Our one was definitely the one from the Shetlands.