Author Topic: Berwick-upon-Tweed freemen burgess rolls  (Read 860 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berwick-upon-Tweed freemen burgess rolls
« on: Tuesday 19 October 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know I can access freemen/burgess/apprentice records from the 1700s?

I have a copy of the google book printed in 1796 listing Berwick freemen details but it only includes those alive at the time. I've also been kindly provided with information from a later roll of burgesess, 1834 I think.
I need to access earlier records, from 1720 ish to 1800. I know Berwick archives has records available but won't be able to arrange a visit for the forseeable future

Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Berwick-upon-Tweed freemen burgess rolls
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 02:46 GMT (UK) »
There used to be a super site with info of freeman records going back through the generations of the families

www.berwickfamilies.org.uk

I tried the url and it no longer seems to be in existence , checked WHOIS for the domain name and it said that the domain registration expired in Sept 2021 :-(

I've tried the Wayback machine but few pages were captured. Its such a shame when sites such as this disappear when with a bit of effort they could at least have been archived on the Wayback Machine.

This is one that was captured and still seems to be working,
https://web.archive.org/web/20201026165128/https://www.berwickfamilies.org.uk/family-search/

I only tried clicking on a couple of names but they did bring up the info I was expecting.

Perhaps an email to Berwick Archives may shed some light on if it will be/ can be revived or they may be able to tell you where the info it had is now accessible ?

Boo

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Another email address which could be helpful would be webmaster@berwickfriends.org.uk
I am a volunteer at Berwick Archives and many of the documents we have transcribed appear on berwickfriends.org.uk It would be worth contacting the webmaster above as he may not realise the subscription has expired.
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Another email address which could be helpful would be webmaster@berwickfriends.org.uk
I am a volunteer at Berwick Archives and many of the documents we have transcribed appear on berwickfriends.org.uk It would be worth contacting the webmaster above as he may not realise the subscription has expired.

Thanks belfordian, I'll drop them an email. Must have taken a long time to do the work to produce that site and it really was helpful, I'd hate to see all that work go to waste.

Boo

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 21:01 GMT (UK) »
More info - hot off the press!

Berwick's Archivist reports

"I wasn't aware of the comment on Roots Chat but do know what is happening. At the moment, the database is being moved from the berwickfamilies to the freemenofberwick website. It is a work in progress - I was in contact with the person sorting it out last week. I'm not sure when it will go live on the Freemen's website but I can confirm when it does".

So that explains its temporary disappearance.
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Excellent ! Thank you belfordian :-)

It really does make me sad that 'sometimes' a lot of community/ personal effort on websites disappears and we can no longer access it. I know how much time and effort is involved in this sort of thing.
Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 March 23 20:25 GMT (UK) »
and, very late because I forgot about it, I can now say that the database is online in its new home
https://freemenofberwick.org.uk/record-search/

Boo