Author Topic: BMD Totnes  (Read 1093 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BMD Totnes
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 October 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
From mariners-l.co.uk/UKCensuses.html

1851 Seamen on board ships in port or docked on rivers were recorded for the first time. They were enumerated by the Master and collected by the local Officer of Customs whose duty it was to submit the records. The RGSS had similar responsibility for the enumeration of ships at sea within territorial waters. Survival rate for these records is poor. The records
may be located following the normal census records for the port at which the ship was docked or the port to which it returned at the end of its voyage.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 October 21 12:38 BST (UK) »

That looks like a no-no then unless some way of finding the vessell he was on
      if he was, I have him in the 41c and 61c, its a bit unfortunate that he lost his
      wife so early, until I find that marriage where there might just be some clues
      I will have to buy that marriage cert to see if any thing about his trade/work
      is uncovered and were he got married....

I have my Robert Clapp bp 3 Feb 1820 Blackawton and a Robert Clapp in the
      naval record 21 Jan 1820 Dartmouth but he is recorded as a carpenter, as in
      the 61c his trade is a Caulker, lets hope there is some more info on the marriage
      record.....thanks any way....
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 October 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
Mick, not sure of seaman in 1851 census as to whether they are recorded anywhere. It may also be that he was a merchant seaman. I do not have membership at present to Findmypast but one for the back burner is below, found on Merchant Seaman 1835-1857. The Robert CLAP I found in 1841 census ref 212 8 11 in St Petrox (this is an area of Dartmouth). Also listed with him is a possible brother William CLAP one year younger.

Robert
Clapp
Dartmouth
Devonshire
BT113

John

Added, what ref do you have for Robert's daughter in 1851 census?

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 October 21 16:28 BST (UK) »

Hi John,
      Yes I found Mary A Clap Ho107 /1873 / 31 /152 /  parish of Townstal Dartmouth ,
   living with Susanna's parents Samuel and Ann Salter, I have found Robert in the 1841 he
   is recorded as a shipwright so were Robert is for the 51, did he go off in a vessell some
   were at that time, I have my feet in the FindMyPast pile also Ancestry, Familysearch is getting
   difficult to work with, Rootschat I have found to be great every one is whiling to help.
    Robert went of to marry a Eleanor Elizabeth Gatterll in Portsmouth in 1853 , so I am
   supposing he might be in the pompey area some were the Clapp family expanded in 51c.
   why he appeared to have dumped his Mary A is any ones guess, I will have a go and
   see if I can find her in the 61, I saw William in the pr for Blackawton with Robert bp so
   will fill that in when I have sorted Robert out.   all good fun what...mick

Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 October 21 17:03 BST (UK) »
Ann Salter with Mary Ann in 1861 ref 1416 119 15

John

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 October 21 18:27 BST (UK) »

Thanks no Samuel then..!!  alas no daddy in play, thanks any way john its appreciated..

mick...

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 October 21 19:13 BST (UK) »
Samuel Salter died aged 73 in 1860 giving a birth date of 1787 approx.

John