Author Topic: David Nicol and Elizabeth Sang  (Read 731 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
David Nicol and Elizabeth Sang
« on: Friday 22 October 21 13:23 BST (UK) »
David Nicol and Elizabeth Sang were married in Forfar, Angus on 17 July 1813. David was a weaver. They had five children that I know of
William, born 10 November 1813 in Forfar
Mary, born 28 May 1815 in Forfar
Elizabeth, born 30 August 1817 in Glasgow
George, baptised 12 November 1820 at St Peters, Bolton le Moors
John, baptised 13 October 1822 at St Peter's, Bolton le Moors.

I know what became of George, because he became a tailor, went to London where he was in business. He married in 1847 and had three children. He was named as executor in the will of his mother's brother William Sang, who died wealthy and unmarried in 1874. The will also names his three children, and of course the censuses all say that he was born in Bolton, so I am confident that I have the correct baptism. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=854446.0

However Uncle William, although he left legacies to all his other nieces and nephews and some of their children, did not mention any of George's siblings. So I would be interested in any information about what happened to them.

David Nicol, aged 36, was buried at Holy Trinity, Bolton, on 21 March 1829. Was this Elizabeth's husband?

Elizabeth Nichol and William Thorpe, both of Walton, were married in St James', Toxteth Park, on 15 August 1836. In the 1841 census in Liverpool are William Thorpe, 50, stone mason, born Ireland; Elizabeth Thorpe, 50 not born in Lancashire; George Nichol, 20, shoe maker, born Lancashire; John Nichol, 15, cigar maker, born Lancashire. Is this Elizabeth with a second husband, or (given that 'my' Elizabeth Sang was born in Scotland and her son George was a tailor, not a shoe maker), have I got it all wrong?

And what became of William, Mary, and Elizabeth, and of John after 1841 (if Elizabeth Thorpe is indeed 'my' Elizabeth Sang)? Is John the John Nicoll, porter, 27, born Lancashire, in the 1851 census in London?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Nicol and Elizabeth Sang
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 21 16:06 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Nichol and William Thorpe, both of Walton, were married in St James', Toxteth Park, on 15 August 1836.

Both widowed at the time of the marriage.

William a marble mason.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 October 21 16:32 BST (UK) »
Ah, excellent, thank you, Milliepede. I was only able to view the bishop's transcript which didn't say that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 October 21 17:20 BST (UK) »
Possible death for Elizabeth?

THORPE, ELIZABETH       52 
GRO Reference: 1842  S Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 20  Page 359

Possible census returns family search?

William, born 10 November 1813 in Forfar
1851 = https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGF5-H4T

Mary, born 28 May 1815 in Forfar
1851 = https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGNZ-BDC

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 October 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
This is a bit of a longshot but best I can find for John.

1851 with Laidlaw family in Hawick?
NICHOL   John   Lodger   U   M   30   Mason's Labourer   ENG

In 1861 John age 38, married to Margaret + 2 children, now at Wilton. Both census returns on freereg.

Nothing clear for Elizabeth junior but a number of marriages, howver none in Lancashire that I can see?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 October 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, ColC.

I did look before at William Nicol, gardener, but I'll look again.

That Mary in 1851 is described as the sister of Peter Poustie, but Peter Poustie and Elizabeth Nicol were married in Prestonpans in 1828 so this Elizabeth can't be 'mine', who would have been only 11, so it doesn't look as if Mary was either.

John in Hawick was the son of James Nichol and Mary Godfrey.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 October 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
I think that William Nicholl on the 1851 census is married to a Margaret Fairbairn
1842 Edinburgh
Gro.gov.record for a son James Alexander Nicoll born 1851 Hampstead mothers maiden ?Name Fairbairn this fami!y can be found 1861 in Berwickshire
Then they are back in England on later censuses

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
Alas, there is a gardener William Nicol in Edinburgh in 1841, aged 30, born Midlothian :(

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 06:50 BST (UK) »
I am not trying to confuse matters - wondering if you know the answer ??   I can only think the brides family church was St James church Toxteth - I live 7 miles away - St James is a huge beautiful church
but - what are a groom and bride from WALTON - doing getting married in Toxteth ??

Marriage: 15 Aug 1836 St James, Toxteth Park, Lancashire, England
William Thorp - Walton
Elizth. Nichol - Walton
    Witness: Jane Snelson; Thos. Brooks
    Married by Banns by: John Smith
probably 7 miles away from Walton
https://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=4252
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford