Author Topic: Burial in Wolverhampton- advice needed  (Read 722 times)

Offline kirstiem78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial in Wolverhampton- advice needed
« on: Friday 22 October 21 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of finding graves in the Wolverhampton area can give me some advice. I'm looking for the grave of my great grandmother on behalf of my gran. She died in the 1930s when my gran was 1 year old, in Wolverhampton. She has always wanted to know where her mother was buried and tried to find out when she was younger but was unable to. My gran isn't fit to travel but if we can find the grave my mum would like to visit on her behalf. We live is Scotland and have no family in Wolverhampton or nearby.

I have my great grandmothers name, date of death, address etc and contacted Wolverhampton Bereavement Services about a month ago. They haven't done a search yet and this week have advised me to contact the Wolverhampton archives to find the grave and go back to the archives can't locate it. I've contact the archives but they haven't got back to me yet.  I live in Glasgow so can't easily visit the archives and I'm a bit confused about what the process is for finding a grave in the area. Do you normally need to look through the archives before Bereavement Services will do a search for you?

Could anyone suggest what the best way to find this grave would be? Ideally I'd like to know where it is before visiting- but is that realistic? Thank so much for reading this and for any advice you can give me!

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Burial in Wolverhampton- advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hiya and welcome

If you can post her name and date of death some sites do list burial details so we may be able to help

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline kirstiem78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 October 21 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow, thanks for your reply.

I'm looking for Louie Irene Taylor, maiden name Carter. She was born April 1902 and died on 17 March 1933. I've been told the burial was on 25th March but I'm not sure if that date is accurate. Louie's husband's name was Cyril J A Taylor. The address on her death certificate is 50 Avondale Road, Wolverhampton.

I've had a look at newspapers from the time but haven't found any clues. 

Thanks,
Kirstie

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 October 21 21:16 BST (UK) »
She may not have been buried in Wolverhampton.   The National Probate Index entry for your great grandmother reads:  Taylor Louie Irene of 48 Cole-bank Road Hall Green Birmingham (wife of Cyril James Allan Taylor) died 17 March 1933 at 50 Avondale-road Wolverhampton...

(She died intestate - administration granted to her husband)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kirstiem78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 October 21 21:46 BST (UK) »
She may not have been. The reason we think she is buried in Wolverhampton is because she grew up there, her parents lived in Wolverhampton, at 50 Avondale Road and I think Cyril moved to Wolverhampton in the years after Louie's death. Also my gran thinks she was buried in Wolverhampton but she may be wrong. As far I can tell the burial records for Birmingham are available to search online and I can't find a record of Louie there.

Offline kirstiem78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 October 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
She may not have been buried in Wolverhampton.   The National Probate Index entry for your great grandmother reads:  Taylor Louie Irene of 48 Cole-bank Road Hall Green Birmingham (wife of Cyril James Allan Taylor) died 17 March 1933 at 50 Avondale-road Wolverhampton...

(She died intestate - administration granted to her husband)

Sorry, I meant to say thank you for looking up that information!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 October 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
Of course, she may have been cremated.
Not all burial registers contain cremations. Most do, but not all.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 November 21 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I live in Wolverhampton.   Archives and Local studies are back on reduced hours I think after the pandemic, they do hold the burials for wolverhampton. These are also free for the public to look through and use
http://www.wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk/resources/indexes (scroll to the bottom of the page)

The burials for the end of Wolverhampton that you refer to could be Danesmore Cemetery or Jeffcock Rd.

The cremations are done at Bushbury Crem and there are burials there too

hope that helps
lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck