Author Topic: Irish in the Spanish Civil War  (Read 888 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish in the Spanish Civil War
« on: Saturday 23 October 21 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

Would anyone happen to know where I could obtain a definitive on-line list (or any other associated records) of Irishmen who took part in the Spanish Civil War (I think it was General O'Duffy's army?)

Many thanks

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Irish in the Spanish Civil War
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 October 21 00:37 BST (UK) »
http://irelandscw.com/band-dufflist.htm
probably not exhaustive.
Plus of course, there were those who went and fought for the other side.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Dublin1850.  What a great find!

Offline cpcrossey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 23 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just by chance I came across this query re the Spanish Civil War - I'm the person who runs that website mentioned. Is there anyone in particular you are looking for. The list has got a bit longer since I put it online.
Ciaran

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 March 23 06:37 GMT (UK) »

Welcome Ciaran  :)

Runner55 was online here yesterday at 17:37, so hopefully they will respond to your reply.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 March 23 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ciaran

Thank you so much for making contact regarding this query.  I was actually looking for the late husband of one of my aunts. His name was Thomas Christopher Gallagher (born 1910, Dublin).  I checked out the website link that another Rootschatter kindly gave me back when I first posted my query, but was unable to find his name there, or anywhere else since.  My late mother always used to say that Uncle Tommy was in General O'Duffy's army in Spain during the civil war.  I'm not sure if that was just an urban legend ... or maybe it was his brother Michael Gallagher and the story has got distorted over the years.  Do either of those names appear on your list?

Thanking you in advance
Runner55

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 23 00:30 BST (UK) »
You'll find him much more easily if you have both his father's surname and his mother's.

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 September 23 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Abhanliath.  How does having his parents' names help the search?

Many thanks
Runner55

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 September 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
It means you can find his birth registration easily, @Runner55 - you can track someone more easily if you have his birth, which will give you his father's name and usually trade; that may lead you to his parents' marriage registration, and to census entries. Then you may be able to find his father or uncles in the Military Pension records, for instance, if they were in the Free State army during the Civil War, and if they were close to O'Duffy… it just gives you leads.
If you haven't read this piece, take a look, as much for the excellent links at the end as for the also excellent information:
https://www.theirishstory.com/2018/10/24/gods-battle-oduffys-irish-brigade-in-the-spanish-civil-war/