Author Topic: The Scottish Catholic Archives - How to search them?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: The Scottish Catholic Archives - How to search them?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 October 21 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Attached is a birth/baptism search extract taken from another family tree on Ancestry.

With access to A/try family trees, you would have seen the various trees for siblings for Margaret Loan, children to James Loan and Catherine Corron?

The whole Loan family seem to have come over to Scotland (Wigtown area). Likely entry for parents in Wigtown in 1841 with a grandchild?

James Loan 70 farmer b. Ireland
Catherine Loan 70 b. Ireland
Catherine Loan 9 b. Ireland

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 October 21 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Vectoniensis is a form of what I have seen in the 17th century as Victonensis = the adjective "of Wigton".

Both living in the parish of Wigton.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 November 21 00:07 GMT (UK) »

With access to A/try family trees, you would have seen the various trees for siblings for Margaret Loan, children to James Loan and Catherine Corron?

The whole Loan family seem to have come over to Scotland (Wigtown area). Likely entry for parents in Wigtown in 1841 with a grandchild?

Loan/e baptisms at Newton Stewart began 1829. There were 3 Loane marriages in the parish in 1830s, including Margaret. Possible variant spellings Loune, Lowne, Logne, Loyne.
Corron first appeared in Newton Stewart baptism register in 1828.  Corron baptisms averaged 1 per  year in 1830s. There were Curran/Curren baptisms after 1847.

Congregational records exist for Our Lady & St. Ninian, Newton Stewart. Some may be lists of Easter communicants since the same names were recorded in consecutive years. Transcribed & indexed on FindMyPast. Don't enter full forename when searching this record set. Abbreviations of Latin versions of forenames were used in the early records. Often 3 letters. These might be first 3 letters or initial letter + last 2 letters or perhaps another combination of letters. (Like playing "Countdown"! "Give me a P please." ;D) Examples, "Jac" (Jacobus = James); "Jo" (probably John but may be Joseph); "Cna" (presumably Caterina =Catherine); "Mta" (presumably Margaretta); "Hah" (Hannah? )  Pat Priestley occurs in a consecutive run of years. "Mta" (Margaret?) was in only some of those years. Her missing years coincide with Priestley baptisms, so she was probably staying home being pregnant or caring for baby. 

Cowban

Offline Champman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 November 21 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Maiden Stone and GR2.  My fault, I should have uploaded the three scans in the correct order.  I take note of the copyright issue and will just upload the text in question in future.  Your knowledge of Latin is indeed impressive.

This marriage record opens up the identity of the previous generation.  Having identified Margaret Loane's parents James Loane and Catherine Corron in the 1841 Census this also identifies Margaret's younger sister Catherine Loan (born 1832 in Ireland).  And searching the RC marriage records identifies her elder brother William Loane (1811) and his wife Anne Dunlop and children.  I have assumed her witness Edward Loane (approx 1825) is another older brother.

Returning to my original 24 October scan (since removed).  This was obviously not from a Scotlandspeople search but probably taken directly from the Scottish Catholic Archive.  How is it possible to directly search this Archive?  Any ideas?

Thanks  Alan

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 November 21 03:44 GMT (UK) »

Returning to my original 24 October scan (since removed).  This was obviously not from a Scotlandspeople search but probably taken directly from the Scottish Catholic Archive.  How is it possible to directly search this Archive?

Catholic registers are on Scotland's People, as others have said.
Scotland's People Guide to Church Registers
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/church-registers
It has a link to National Records of Scotland guide to Catholic parish registers
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/catholic-parish-registers
These guides explain the various records.
Some are also on Find My Past.
You're fortunate with the Newton Stewart marriage register. Names of both parents. Neat handwriting.
There was a Catholic church in Dumfries a couple of decades before Newton Stewart. When the R.C. Diocese of Galloway was formed, the cathedral was at Dumfries. Catholics in Ayr met in a pub 200 years ago until they had a church built. Early Catholics in Newton Stewart may gathered for services in a building which wasn't a church. One priest may have ministered to a whole county.
Cowban

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 November 21 21:33 GMT (UK) »

I would suggest that Catherine is likely a granddaughter rather than daughter to James and Catherine.

Monica

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 00:14 GMT (UK) »

Having identified Margaret Loane's parents James Loane and Catherine Corron in the 1841 Census this also identifies Margaret's younger sister Catherine Loan (born 1832 in Ireland).  And searching the RC marriage records identifies her elder brother William Loane (1811) and his wife Anne Dunlop and children.  I have assumed her witness Edward Loane (approx 1825) is another older brother.

Do you mean Catherine Loan who was with James & Catherine on 1841 census? Relationships weren't shown on 1841 census. I agree with Monica that she was most likely a granddaughter of James. She was too young to have been Catherine Loan's daughter.
Keep in mind that ages of many adults on 1841 are a guide only. Census enumerators were supposed to round ages down to a multiple of 5 although they didn't all follow that instruction. So if you estimated William's birth year from 1841 census, he may have been 30-34, or he may have been younger or older if he didn't know his exact age.
Where does a birth year of 1825 come from for Edward ? That would make him younger than Margaret. It would also make him too young to have been Margaret's brother, if both his age and Margaret's mother's ages were accurate. Calculating ages from 1851 census should give a better indication of birth year.   
Cowban

Offline Champman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 November 21 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Re: MonicaL of 01 Nov:

Many thanks for your reply and my apologies for the delay in replying.

I am inclined to agree with you that Margaret Loane (from the 1841 Census) is probably the grandchild of James Loane and Catherine Corron.  Similarly Edward Loane was a guesstimate of position and age to elicit the search algorithms to turn something up.  There is no record of any in the 1851 or subsequent BMD or census records so they may well have returned to Ireland so will keep a watching brief.

Another conundrum surrounds Mary Marks (see attached 1884 marriage extract).  Firstly the 1891 census gives her birth as 'Garliestown, Wigtownshire' whilst the 1901 census as 'England'.  Although born in 1856 I can find no birth or any earlier record than her 1884 marriage nor any record at all of her parents Robert Marks or Jessie Hutton.  Another arrival from Ireland perhaps but why the error or deception.

Many thanks
Alan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 November 21 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Looking around for Mary but not yet finding anything for her. Garliestown is in the parish of Sorbie. There looks to only be one couple with the surname of Mark/s, a Hugh and wife Elizabeth (Heron).

There is, however, a possible sibling...maybe? A Jessie/Janet Hutton Marks. She married a David Kay in Birkenhead (4th Qrt, 8a/730). Looks to have been a Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended, so nothing for the marriage on the parish registers to help with confirming her father's name. She died, aged 43, early 1899 in Birkenhead area.

The 1881 and 1891 censuses give her birth year c. 1855 in Scotland. www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q272-TQ9K You can also link to the 1891 entry from here.

Monica