Author Topic: MAMMIES SIDE..  (Read 2222 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: MAMMIES SIDE..
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 October 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
So, is this the first McGilp you have in your line on your mum's side?

PETER MCGILP and ALICE STEWART
1925 marriage
655/2 10
Shotts (Eastern District)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 14:33 GMT (UK) »
So, is this the first McGilp you have in your line on your mum's side?

PETER MCGILP and ALICE STEWART
1925 marriage
655/2 10
Shotts (Eastern District)

Monica

Monica these are my mums Grandparents, They are buried at Shotts cemetery as my mum took me to show me where they are layed as my G uncle David and Archibald are also layed with their parents too. Granny Hannah (Alice Stewart's)parents came from Ireland I've been told but I don't know if that's true!! I have there son Peter's death cert and the PF's amendment of what happened at the pit. I had found his accident on the Scottish mining web page and contacted them to update the info as there was a lot of info missing. his death was horrible to read, my mammie remembers the story she was told about her uncle Peter and the mess he was in after the accident, I only know the story cause when I was born my Granddad (Joseph McGilp b) 1927) wouldn't go see my mammie as she was all linked up to blood & fluid bags, that put the fear of god into him as he couldn't bring himself to see his daughter like he seen his little brother...
Stewart McGilp Gillies Haldane Sommerville Little Orr Mullen Robertson King Leckie Hutton McLaren McDonald Meason/Mason Morison Hamilton Stuart,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 19:43 GMT (UK) »
So, Joseph McGilp and his family here https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LV95-NRW/joseph-mcgilp-1927-1984

But you want to go back don't you, up to the ancestors of Peter McGilp and Alice Stewart. Have you got a copy of their marriage reg mentioned above to be able to confirm their parents? There are parent details for them on the tree link above. Do they match what you know?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 19:50 GMT (UK) »

...Granny Hannah (Alice Stewart's)parents came from Ireland I've been told but I don't know if that's true!!

Was Alice also known as Hannah? From the family tree, some details they have for her:

The Life Summary of Alice

When Alice stewart was born on 13 March 1903, her father, Joseph Stewart, was 21 and her mother, Martha Bell, was 21. She married Peter McGilp on 8 May 1925. They were the parents of at least 4 sons and 1 daughter. She died on 4 October 1978, at the age of 75, and was buried in Kirk of Shotts, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
From the same source, we have for Peter this summary:

The Life Summary of Peter

When Peter McGilp was born on 3 October 1901, his father, Archibald McGilp, was 19 and his mother, Agnes Miller, was 19. He married Alice stewart on 8 May 1925. They were the parents of at least 4 sons and 1 daughter. He died on 7 April 1960, at the age of 58.

I think this is Archibald in 1881 with his family:

Peter McGilp 48 general lab b. Kilmaney, Argyleshire
Mary McGilp 42 b. Kilmaney, Argyleshire
Archibald McGilp 16 coal miner b. Shotts
Marion McGilp 13 b. Cambusnethan    
Catherine McGilp 9 b. Shotts
Margaret McGilp 6 b. Shotts

Address: No 19 Stonecraigs Rows, Cambusnethan

Mary Bell and Peter McGilp married on 3 June 1861 in Greenock.

Looks like your McGilp/Bell roots will take you to Islay in Argyll.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 20:26 GMT (UK) »
You have this photo of your McGilp grandparents, Joseph and wife Anne Sommerville? www.findagrave.com/memorial/211894489/joe-mcgilp

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 22:01 GMT (UK) »
For Alice Stewart, this looks to be her family in 1901 before she was born in 1903:

Joseph Stewart 35 coal miner b. Ireland
Martha Stewart 36 b. Ireland
Emily Stewart 10 b. Ireland
Agnes Stewart 8 b. Ireland
Joseph Stewart 6 b. Ireland
Elizabeth Stewart 4 b. Shotts
Martha Stewart 2 b. Shotts
David Stewart 10 months b. Shotts

Address: 35 Victoria St, Shotts

Parents' marriage on 8 August 1885 in Ballymena, Antrim https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10872/5970526.pdf

Likely entry for Martha's birth in Balleymena in 1865 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03555/2308957.pdf

Not sure on Joseph's birth entry.

Monica

PS: Gill, have you used Irish Genealogy before? If not, just click on the link and register with basic details and it will then let you view the image.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 November 21 09:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a poor relief application dated 1880 in Cambusnethan which states that Peter McGilp was born in Islay, his wife was Mary Bell, his father was Robert McGilp, a shepherd and his mother is given as Mary Bell (that may be a mistake?) but both his parents are deceased by the date of application.
Children listed are - (ages at October 1880)
Archibald, aged 15 years, born Shotts, a driver in a pit.
Marion, aged 12 years, born Newmains (That would be Cambusnethan parish)
Catherine, aged 9 years, born Shotts.
Margaret, aged 6 years, born Shotts.
It says Peter was born at "Pollsa" Kilmany, Islay but Pollsa is badly written, it also states that he was married in Greenock in 1861. The application was made from 19 Stonecraig Rows in Newmains.

The register for the Shotts application (sent there by Cambusnethan parish) lists the 15 year old son as John.

Another application was made in 1896 from 7 Moss Road Cambusnethan (near enough in modern-day Newmains). A 1 roomed house, he was a furnaceman. (Most probably at Coltness Iron Works in Newmains).
Confirms parents as in above claim, wife Mary Bell also born Islay.
Archibald is now married with 2 children, living in Holytown.
Marion is now married to William Dickson and has 3 children, living in Cambusnethan.
Catherine aged 22 years is unmarried and is a laundry maid to the Earl of Haddington.
Mary is married to Neil Cowan, a builder, 3 children and living in South Africa. (was she the Margaret on the 1880 claim?)

There is a burial in Cambusnethan cemetery for Catherine McGilp Dickson, aged 6 years & 5 months who died at Motherwell Fever Hospital, usual residence was Newmains. Parents were William Dickson & Marion McGilp. Interred in plot E205 on 10th August 1907.

Another poor relief application dated 11 April 1905. 7 Moss Road.
Daughter Mary aged 41 married to Neil Cowan, 7 children (5 dependants) in South Africa.
Archibald aged 35, born Shotts, a miner, married with 7 children, in Harthill.
Marion aged 33, born Newmains, married to William Dickson a labourer, 5 children 1 left school in March last. 8 Main Street Newmains.
Catherine aged 31, born Shotts, married to Walter Wilson, baker's vanman, 3 children, living in Dunbar.

Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 November 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's People only has 3 McGilp births in Peebles.  Earliest is Thomas 1884 then nothing until 1976

However - SP shows 813 births throughout Scotland from 1855 to date & 298 entries pre 1855

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Hi CaroleW I haven't had time from when I last posted as my daughter is extremely unwell so doing this in-between appointments and cuddles etc as we are in an out of hospital a lot so I've been doing this via my phone most of the time. I'll have a look at the boards shortly, The McGilp's that I'm looking for on my tree start with my Grandah in 1927 in Harthill Lanarkshire Scotland an I have been told the family story that they also lived in Ayrshire area, I was just wondering if anyone is related, I will defo check the boards though.

Kindest Regards
Gillian

At the mention of Ayrshire I remembered a guy called McGilp from Saltcoats, couple of years older than me so DOB would be about 1945 ... Kenneth rings a bell, but not sure.  Check the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald archives, Ardrossan Academy website and the threetowners site for possible info.
Also, is there a possibility for a misheard McGilp for McKillop ?
happy hunting! cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.