Author Topic: Darrall family in Dawley area  (Read 613 times)

Offline Paul NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Darrall family in Dawley area
« on: Wednesday 27 October 21 01:55 BST (UK) »
Good morning all, I have a Thomas Darrall who was the son of Benjamin and Margaret (nee Tranter) baptised on the 5-3-1815. The family lived in Holywell Lane, Dawley (1841 census).
Thomas married an Eliza prior to 1846 and they went to live at Lightmoor where their son, William was christened on the 12-4-1846 (birth cert). Thomas, William's father died on the 3-2-1847 at Stocking according to his death cert and William, now aged 10 months old appears to have been raised by his grandparents, Benjamin and Margaret according to the 1851 and 1861 census. By 1871 William, now married to Elizabeth (nee Martin), with two children of their own, was living in Holywell Lane.
My queries are:- (1) Who was the Eliza who married Thomas Darrall (I do not have a surname for her - primary name is written in a family bible so likely correct). I can't find a marriage entry.
                    (2) What happened to Eliza after Thomas died in 1847. I can find no record of her. She appears not  to have been  taken in by Thomas's parents, Benjamin and Margaret as the censii don't mention her. Did she remarry? Did she die?
Does anyone have any suggestion on where I could find the answers to my quandries?
Thank you all.  Paul Darrall in Hamilton, New Zealand.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Darrall family in Dawley area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
GRO  has a William Darrall born 1846 Madeley  mmn Morgan
Freebmd has a marriage Wellington Sep Q 1844
Thomas Dorral, same page Eliza Morgan

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Paul NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cathy. I will follow up on your suggestions. Didn't think to spell our name as 'Dorral" and Ancestry didn't see the unusual spelling.

Paul

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
There is a burial for an Eliza Darral in Little Dawley 31 August 1850. The abode is given as Little Dawley and her age as 31.

The marriage of Thomas Dorral and Eliza Morgan was in the Parish of Eyton 1 July 1844 . ( Eyton is just to the north of Wellington). Both were of full age. His occupation is given as gardener and his father as Bemjamin, a miner. Her father is named as Robert Morgan, a collier. The abode is named as Trench. Worth noting that both sign with a mark - possible explanation of surname as Dorral?

William

Added Here is the death showing in Family Search

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J8DH-JJ7
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
On the Gro Index it looks like the corresponding death for the burial quoted above is

Dorrall Eliza Jul - Sep 1850 Madeley Age 31.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Paul NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 October 21 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you William for the information on Eliza which I will follow up on. She seems very illusive as we know that she married Thomas Darrall and they had a son, William, in 1846. Unfortunately, William's father died in 1847 of consumption and the child was raised by his grandfather. At this time Eliza disappeared, never to be heard from again.
Just one of my few difficult ancestors who remains illusive.

Paul