Author Topic: Costs of 1921 census revealed  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Costs of 1921 census revealed
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 12:26 BST (UK) »
Apparently the 1939 register when first released was £6.95 per household
indeed or £24.95 for a 5 household bundle (£4.99 per household) per announcement 27 Oct 2015
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/blog/family-records/announcing-the-release-of-the-1939-register
Ancestry released it May 2018.

The 1911 was a bit different, it was brought out in a hurry in 2009 instead of 2012 (due to a legal challenge) with some info initially restricted & with a phased release, county by county see Accessing the 1911 Census on https://www.1911census.org.uk/
[The ruling by the Information Commissioner that resulted in the 1911 census being opened early could not be applied to the 1921 census, as it was conducted under the 1920 Census Act, still in force, containing a statutory prohibition on disclosure]

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 12:37 BST (UK) »

There’s really only one record that I want to view, (my ever elusive paternal grandfather) and so I don’t think I’ll take out a year’s Subs to FindMyPast for that!

I seem to recall that it took a few years for the 1911 to become just part of the Subs?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 13:13 BST (UK) »

There’s really only one record that I want to view, (my ever elusive paternal grandfather) and so I don’t think I’ll take out a year’s Subs to FindMyPast for that!

I seem to recall that it took a few years for the 1911 to become just part of the Subs?

Romilly.

I wouldn't mind paying extra for the option of a subscription that included the 1921 census rather than having odd small amounts coming out of my bank - harder to keep track of. Or perhaps the option to buy credits.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 13:32 BST (UK) »
I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast just Ancestry. I will have to be patient until they start to be available on Familyhistory.org and Ancestry. I don't think the cost of plus extras for the census justifies the few details that I would benefit from. I already have my Father's details for 1921 and 1935 censuses as he was born in NFL. and they have been available for quite a few years.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
I will have to be patient until they start to be available on Familyhistory.org and Ancestry.

You might have a long wait, I believe FindMyPast have exclusive rights for at least 10 years.  ;D

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 13:55 BST (UK) »
I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast
one is not required, get a 10% discount if you do have one but you'd be paying a lot of £2.50's and £3.50's to recoup a sub specifically to avail of the 10% with no intent of accessing their other resources (some of which are not available on Ancestry or are in Fold3 in Ancestry, their 1939 register is superior as more unredacted and they have the British Newspaper Archive collection) all those make it worth my while subscribing every 2-3 years.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 14:07 BST (UK) »
It will be interesting what we can glean from a free search.

I can see myself taking trips to Kew next year.

If I do, there may be the offer of a transcription look-up or several  ;D

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
[quote author=Romilly link=topic=854661.msg7228399#msg7228399 date=

I wouldn't mind paying extra for the option of a subscription that included the 1921 census rather than having odd small amounts coming out of my bank - harder to keep track of. Or perhaps the option to buy credits.

I wish they’d bring back Credits.I used to get them when FindMyPast was called 1837.com.That way you just paid for what you wanted to view.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline elf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 15:00 BST (UK) »
So let me get this right even if I take out another subscription to FindMyPast it will still cost me to look at the 1921 census
Sue
Staffordshire Gloucester Lancashire
Haines Allen Bennett Fieldhouse Beddall.Whittle