Author Topic: Harehills Cemetery, Leeds.  (Read 1393 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harehills Cemetery, Leeds.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 October 21 13:44 BST (UK) »
True - on reflection, the term 'section map' is ambiguous so maybe we were thinking of different things.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 October 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
onefortheroad:David do you live nearby to the cemetery?
Suggestion for you, on a dry day could you have a walk round section U6 making a note of the grave numbers.
See if you can make any sense of the numbering system, like on the perimeter do the numbers start at the front and increase as you walk towards the back of the section.
Do this for all 4 sides to get some idea on how it's been laid out.
[Helps to pass the time whilst awaiting a reply from Farnley Hall.]
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 October 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
On the other thread (link in Reply #7 above) it's been established that the grave in Section U6 at Harehills is probably not the right one.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 October 21 11:33 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Brian.
I like your suggestion and it makes sense however, I'm about 70miles away, halfway between Hull and Spurn Point so in the light of a new revelation by ArthurK, it could be a wasted journey. Turns out this Annie is not my Annie. Gutted doesn't cover it.
I had queried the burial date of 31stMarch 1954 in light of my Annie's death being recorded as 2ndJuly 1954.
Arthur then found a Lower Agbrigg death of and Annie in March and the ages match whereas there was a 6year difference with my Annie's age. SMITH was her alias but both that and her actual surname of AUSTON are registered separately in the Civil Registration Death Index. so, as you can imagine, every record of her life from 1910 to her death can be under either surname and use any combination of her given names, including those of her children. Goodness knows what the '21 census will throw up. She's been a nightmare to trace and keeps eluding me.
Anyway, thanks for your help, Brian. It really is appreciated.
Regards,
David
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline cavie78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 November 21 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've just got back from a frustrating search at Harehills. Armed with section and plot info I spent a fruitless hour looking for my relatives below.

Is there any sort of sense to the numbering (there didn't seem to be!)? Is there any way to find out whether there is a gravestone or if someone is in a shared grave?

Arthur Valentine Cave (1889-1946) Plot V1, 246
William Henry Cave (1886-1926) Plot D1, 189

Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 November 21 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Yorkshire Burials have transcripts of the Harehills records, and it's quite easy to find who's buried in a particular grave - see https://yorkshireburials.uk   (You need to register, but it's free.)

Search in the Municipal Burials, and in the left hand column select Leeds & District, then Harehills. Then there are two ways to proceed:

(a) put the Section and Grave numbers in the boxes at the bottom and hit Search

(b) search for the name, then click on the entry in the list of results to bring up the full transcription. At the bottom there's a button/link to Find People in Grave, which pops up a list of them, plus a photo of the headstone (if available).

Doing either of these should show that Arthur is in a grave by himself, and William is with a Beatrice Emily Gould, who died in 1945 aged 61. There's no clue as to whether or how they might have been related.

There was another thread running in parallel with this one where a plan of Harehills Cemetery was posted - https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805709.msg7229350#msg7229350  From further posts it seemed that no-one knew of any plans showing individual graves, but you'd probably find it helpful to read at least the later parts of that thread.

Offline cavie78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 November 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic - thanks very much for your help

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 November 21 11:38 GMT (UK) »
The 2 grave plots listed below don't show to have headstones recorded!
Arthur Valentine Cave (1889-1946) Plot V1, 246
William Henry Cave (1886-1926) Plot D1, 189
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline cavie78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 November 21 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much! That may well explain why we couldn't find anything. Is it worth having another look do you reckon or is it likely there's nothing to see? (if a grave isn't recorded as having a headstone does that generally mean it doesn't in practice?) I'm only on the other side of Leeds so not a big deal for me to head back, but if there's no chance of us seeing anything then I'll probably give it a miss