Author Topic: Charlotte BURT b.1789 Pitney or High Ham, Somerset  (Read 712 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlotte BURT b.1789 Pitney or High Ham, Somerset
« on: Friday 29 October 21 12:45 BST (UK) »
I’m revisiting the family of a Charlotte Burt who according to 1841, 1851 and 1861 census records lived in Keinton Mandeville and was married to Daniel Ridewood.

The marriage record (Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations 1754) - 15 Nov 1812 in Keinton Mandeville, Somerset, states she was “of this parish”, whereas her birth is given on 1851 census as High Ham, Somerset and 1861 census as Pitney, Somerset (close neighbouring villages).  I have not been able to find possible parents baptising her (census’s give birth dates 1791, 1788 and 1789) around this area.   I do see one in Montacute , Somerset - 14 April 1790 (Samuel and Betty Burt), but this is much further away.

There is a Charlotte Burt marrying an Edward Gare in Pitney in April 1848 (full age and a spinster) - which confirms the surname “Burt” in that village. Her father was a Solomon Burt. I see a Charlotte Burt (ancestry transcribe as Bart) baptism in Feb 1818 in Pitney by Solomon and Elizabeth Bart which might relate to above marriage. I can see Solomon with Elizabeth in 1841 living in Pitney - gives his birth year as 1796.  Also a marriage to Elizabeth Hoyle in 1817 Long Sutton.   I find a baptism on 7 Jan 1829 for Solomon Burt aged 34 years (dob:1795) by Thomas (deceased) and Mary Burt, Pitney.  Two other older aged baptisms on the page which is unusual I would have thought. Given that Solomon married in 1817 and by 1829 already has two children, why might he be baptised so late in life?

Could this Thomas and Mary be my Charlotte’s parents ? Is my Charlotte is Solomon’s sister? I’ve looked for other baptisms by Thomas and Elizabeth Burt and see one for Harriet Burt bap 19 Apr 1789 Pitney. I’ve scrolled either side of this but can’t find another.  Harriet’s bap date is close to the date for Charlotte’s baptism. Are they one and the same person? Or was Charlotte simply not baptised.  Many thanks for reading this and I would love to hear comments/suggestions.

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte BURT b.1789 Pitney or High Ham, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 21 16:57 BST (UK) »
Just realise I've made a typo.  5th to last sentence.  It should read:
I've looked for other baptisms by Thomas and Mary Burt and can see one for Harriet Burt bap 19 April 1789 Pitney.  Sorry! 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
Quote;
Harriet Burt bap 19 Apr 1789 Pitney

FreeREG has her bapt High Ham;
Siblings;
JENNY 04 Apr 1785
GEORGE 13 Mar 1786
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish.  I scrolled for any other baptisms nearby by Thomas and Mary but there are no more but there is a burial for a Susannah (child), dau of Thomas and Mary in Pitney 2 Aug 1795.

There is a marriage for Thomas Burt (widower) and Mary Burford (spinster) 23 Nov 1777 in Martock (both residing in Martock at time of marriage). There is also a marriage for Thomas Burt (Long Load) to Susannah Perrot on 13 Nov 1755 at Martock.  This may be our Thomas's first marriage and may provide the link for the child buried in 1795, (although this couldn't be Thomas and Susannah Perrot's child).

All of which unfortunately still doesn't help me find the baptism for Charlotte. :(

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 21 06:03 GMT (UK) »
No it doesnt!

Records are being transcribed all the time so she may turn up in the future :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 October 21 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte was buried 8 December 1867 age 80 so born circa 1787.

Name is Redewood on ancestry. Not much help though

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 October 21 08:33 GMT (UK) »
The names of the children may help if naming patterns apply
Martha 1813
Mary 1814
Elizabeth 1816
*Eliza 1818  Possible burial as Elizabeth Rideout age 1, 21 October 1819
Alfred 1820
Caleb 1824
*Eliza 1826  Burial 5 June 1827 age 1 Keinton Mandeville
John 1829   (is he George in 1841)
*Eliza Jane 1832

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 October 21 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks amondg for your suggestion.  I had wondered this but apart from the name 'Mary', none of Daniel and Charlotte's other children's names match any of Thomas and Mary Burt's children previously referred to.

I've noticed on 1861 census that Elizabeth Ridewood is widowed and living with son Caleb and wife in KM.  Caleb's wife comes from Long Sutton, near Langport, so the links with High Ham/Pitney are still evident. 

I think I will put Charlotte Burt to one side for now, but thank you to anyone who has had a look for me.