Author Topic: Worcestershire Newspapers  (Read 1457 times)

Offline EJP1

• RootsChat Extra
  • GG Grandfather William Phillips
    • View Profile
Worcestershire Newspapers
« on: Thursday 01 September 05 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I am beginning to think there was something not quite right about a birth and death in 1953 in my tree and I just wanted to ask the advise of those "far more qualified" than I in family history research. The name concerned is Peter Gavan born 6th May 1953 in Selly Oak Birmingham. His death was registered in the same quarter but in Worcester showing his age as zero. Family tales so far seem to imply that the mother Clara Gavan nee Foxall was mentally unwell and had been known to harm previous children who were all taken into care. I have tried to get a death cert (already have a birth cert) but part of my fee was returned. I know I gave the correct GRO information so I assume it was because I was not a close enough relative.

My question - Is there anywhere I can look up Worcester newspapers from around that time? How do I get a copy of the death certificate? How do I check with a cornoers court if there was any inquest?

I appreciate this is a bit sensitive but this is one skeleton I'd like to get out of my closet!

Hoping someone can help or advise

Emma
Phillips - Glais, Clydach, Caemawr, Trebanos, Pontardawe, Resolven, Landore, Neath, Haverfordwest, Colorado
Foxall - Lye, Stourbridge, Oldswinford
Jenkins - Clydach, Potardawe, Colorado
Kendrick - Smethwick

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Worcestershire Newspapers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 September 05 14:34 BST (UK) »
I visited the Worcester History Centre a few weeks ago and they have a lot of newspapers for the area on microfiche/microfilm. It may be worth while contacting them and if you don't live in the area, asking them to do a search for you.

Chui

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Worcestershire Newspapers
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 September 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
Just to add to my message above ......

I think I am right in saying that if there was a coroners inquest, that should also be reported in the local paper. (I have found one for a member of my family, in the Ledbury Reporter).

I can't see why the GRO should not be able to give you the death certificate. You can ask them to do a search without GRO information, although this is a bit more expensive.

I also have a mystery death in my family and after about a year, am finally getting to the bottom of it .... so keep persevering at every angle you can think of!

Good Luck!

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk