Author Topic: Advice - Collins/Thompson Familes  (Read 554 times)

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice - Collins/Thompson Familes
« on: Saturday 30 October 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I am looking for some advice/guidance on trying to locate families for my great (x3) grandparents, John Collins and Hannah Thompson.
   After a number of years chasing up the wrong set of parents for my great (x2) grandmother Honora Collins (born in 1865 in Peckham, Surrey), through various DNA matches we finally got to her parents being the afore mentioned John and Hannah, who both are just listed as being born around 1840/1841 in Ireland. A parish record for a marriage of a John collins and Hannah Thompson has been found for 1859 in the catholic parish of Annakissy, which is believed to be our couple as it fits correct times for the birth of the first child, and from the burial of our Hannah it looks like her service was performed by a catholic priest.
   So what i am trying to work out, is how to prove or disprove they are the correct people, the trouble is the UK census records dont link to any area, and collins families are exceedingly common in london :-)  Does anybody have any experience of Annakissy parish, and has come across a collins or Thompson family in those parishes, or can advice the best places to look for the records from the places in that parish ?

Thanks

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Advice - Collins/Thompson Familes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
A parish record for a marriage of a John collins and Hannah Thompson has been found for 1859 in the catholic parish of Annakissy.......
Does anybody have any experience of Annakissy parish, and has come across a collins or Thompson family in those parishes, or can advice the best places to look for the records from the places in that parish ?

These are the available records for the RC parish of Annakissy-
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0006

Diocese of Cloyne | County of Cork
Variant forms of parish name: Monanimy, Anakissy, Killavullen

The civil parish of Monanimy, east of Mallow.
https://www.townlands.ie/cork/monanimy2/

John Collins married Hanora Thompson on 5th March 1859 in Annakissy RC parish. Can't see any baptisms for children in the immediate years after their marriage - did they immigrate immediately to England?

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 21 13:40 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Kiltaglassan
John Collins married Hanora Thompson on 5th March 1859 in Annakissy RC parish.
Thanks for those, i had the marriage parish register from ancestry, but i will look to see if there is anything different on the  other sites :-)

Can't see any baptisms for children in the immediate years after their marriage - did they immigrate immediately to England?
All the children that i know about for them were born in Southwark area of London, so no surprise there is no mention of baptisms.  On the immigrate, i have no clue when they may have come over., it could have been after the wedding or even before and they headed home to get married with family.  At this point i don't have any solid info other than names and being born in ireland from the census records :-)   

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 21 13:51 BST (UK) »
Their first child was Maurice b 1861.

There are baptisms in Annaskissy to Maurice Collins and Norry/Hanora McDonnell (variations) including:
John Collins baptised March 1836 (so a few years difference).
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 October 21 14:05 BST (UK) »
Their first child was Maurice b 1861.

There are baptisms in Annaskissy to Maurice Collins and Norry/Hanora McDonnell (variations) including:
John Collins baptised March 1836 (so a few years difference).
Thanks Heywood, yeah i have 6 children, with Maurice as the oldest, then Phillip, Honora, Michael, and then Mary & Kate with no dates.

That's good to know that the are some Collins in that parish, as you say 1836 is a bit early, but could be an earlier brother than died or a cousin. If nothing else i does put a possible link for John to that area.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex