Author Topic: A Bit of Nostalgia  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Bit of Nostalgia
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 October 21 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the recipe Andrew, I will give it a try. The other recipes amused me too, I don't like liver, it's the texture, as you say, a lot of us liver haters eat pate! We have Sausage, liver and mushrooms with onion gravy which I enjoy, but I don't have the liver but love the gravy it produces.
 My Grandma used to make her own brawn and cow heel pie, also tripe and onions, I couldn't be tempted to eat any of it either  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 November 21 09:22 GMT (UK) »
My Grandma used to make her own brawn and cow heel pie, also tripe and onions, I couldn't be tempted to eat any of it either  ;D
Carol

My mother used to make tripe and onions on a regular basis, After i was married she used to ring and ask if i would like to pop round for lunch, it was usually tripe and onions.
She did try giving it to my children, but only once. ;D ;D
Haven’t had it since my mother passed away over 15 years ago.
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 November 21 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I remember when my dad cooked cow's udder, something his mom used to do when he was a child.  Me and mom were horrified and refused to go anywhere near the thing, when he cooked it the house was filled with a horrible smell.  He left it on the side to cool and went back a while later to make himself a sandwich from it - only to find the udder was missing!  He tried to accuse me and mom of throwing it away but we were not guilty.  The culprit was later discovered when we found the chewed up udder in the garden, with next door's cat licking his lips looking very content nearby.  The cat must have jumped in the open window and dragged the udder along the worktop, over the sink and out of the window - one very determined cat  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 November 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Brave cat...That really made me laugh out load Jool.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU