Author Topic: BEAVER families of Roadwater/Old Cleeve  (Read 883 times)

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
BEAVER families of Roadwater/Old Cleeve
« on: Wednesday 03 November 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
 My great great grandmother remarried after the birth of my great grandmother. Two children from this marriage moved from Great Marlow in Buckinghamshire to Roadwater. According to the 1911 census they had 28 children between them. Sadly both married wives whose maiden names were Crew(e). I can separate out the living children fairly well but the eight who died before 1911 present a problem. Does anyone know if I can access the parish records of Old Cleeve (where I assume that they would have been baptised) from 1890 onwards? I should be able to sort out the two who I know were born in Great Marlow (when I get home) but still need to find baptisms for William (c 1897), Daniel and Daisy (c 1904) and one as yet unknown. I'm reasonably hopeful as Beaver is not a particularly common Somerset name.

If anyone is related to the either family I would be really happy to hear from them.

P.S. I have now found the Old Cleeve registers online and no sign of any baptisms for Beaver children. Any ideas of where I should look next?
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: BEAVER families of Roadwater/Old Cleeve
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Freereg has Old Cleeve baptisms - www.freereg.org.uk

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you used the GRO index to work out all of the births
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Carole W - I have tried FreeReg already  :(

Rosie99 - yes, those are the years I have given from birth registrations.
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Might be of interest:

Daisy Beaver bapt 9 March 1913 at Leighland Chapel- between Roadwater and Raleigh's Cross- father is Abel Joseph Beaver a "Port " Butcher- maybe mis-transcribed pork?!Mother is Eva. Residence Pitt Mill, Leighland.

William Joseph Beaver bapt 29 Nov 1916 - details as above.

djm297

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Sadly, that isn't the Dasiy who didn't survive until 1911. It is the granddaughter of one of the two brothers.
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline Erik Bloodaxe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 November 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother remarried after the birth of my great grandmother. Two children from this marriage moved from Great Marlow in Buckinghamshire to Roadwater. According to the 1911 census they had 28 children between them. Sadly both married wives whose maiden names were Crew(e). I can separate out the living children fairly well but the eight who died before 1911 present a problem. Does anyone know if I can access the parish records of Old Cleeve (where I assume that they would have been baptised) from 1890 onwards? I should be able to sort out the two who I know were born in Great Marlow (when I get home) but still need to find baptisms for William (c 1897), Daniel and Daisy (c 1904) and one as yet unknown. I'm reasonably hopeful as Beaver is not a particularly common Somerset name.

If anyone is related to the either family I would be really happy to hear from them.

P.S. I have now found the Old Cleeve registers online and no sign of any baptisms for Beaver children. Any ideas of where I should look next?

Try Leighland.

Clearly Daniel and Daisy were unfortunately weak twins that survived a month or so.

I went to school with Fredericks great grandson.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 November 21 16:38 GMT (UK) »
The Old Cleeve baptism register is on Ancestry. As seems to be the case with many of the somerset registers they do not always appear if you search by name but if you have the patience to work through them the records are there.
Leighland is also similarly available.

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 November 21 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much. I am almost there now - I have 27 out of 28 children sorted and am waiting on two death certificated for unnamed male children to find out who the missing child is.

Erik Bloodaxe - I'm fascinated to hear that you went to school with Frederick's great grandson. he would be my third 'half' cousin.

Glancare - thanks for the heads up regarding searching through the PRs for Somerset. I had found them but assumed that they were indexed! I should know better by now.
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides