Author Topic: Gypsy families Gritt/Smith  (Read 7078 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsy families Gritt/Smith
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 January 22 16:47 GMT (UK) »
On the 1921, there are Frank and Violet at Millbrook Bursledon Botley . South Stoneham . Hampshire. At the same location and probably in the same accommodation are; David Gritt b. 1903, Bert Gritt b. 1905 and Mary Gritt b.1905 (twins or different families). These could be his children from the first marriage.

Offline Bumble226

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 January 22 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Frank Gritt was born 1868. His first wife was Ellen Green married in 1889 Lymington. She died in 1918 east wellow age 48.

Offline Bumble226

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 January 22 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes those ere children from his first marriage to Ellen. They had 12 children. Frank married my grandmother in 1923 and had a further 9 children. My mother was 2nd from last child born in 1941 she is the only living child left. I was born in 1962 my grandmother Violet died in 1057 and Frank in 1959.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 January 22 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Of those children, Bert Gritt is the only one registered in 1905, Alton, with mmn Green. As Bert and Mary were both born in 1905, I would expect both to be registered, so maybe Mary is of a different family, but living with them. David is registered Jan-Mar 1904 mmn Gritt.

Offline Debbycuk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 11:12 BST (UK) »
My husband is the great great grandson of Frank Gritt, through his daughter Ellen. Her mother (also called Ellen) died in 1918.Frank then remarried.

Ellen died young in 1932 leaving a young family. Her husband couldn't cope so the children were sent to banardos homes.