Author Topic: Trying to locate Burial place for 2xg grandparents Biggin Hill  (Read 790 times)

Offline jakpeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to locate Burial place for 2xg grandparents Biggin Hill
« on: Friday 05 November 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have recently found the obituaries for my 2xg grandparents both died in Biggin Hill in 1928 and 1932
I thought it would have been St Marks Church but looked on google maps at the church it does not seem to have any burials in its grounds does any one know where the parish church yard would be?

Many thanks

Smith,Tabbnor,Nicholson,Arkley,Hewison,Dobson,Melvil,Thompson,Mc conkey/Conkey,Park,Howe,Chapelhow,Allen

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate Burial place for 2xg grandparents Biggin Hill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 November 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
The cemetery is down the driveway opposite St Marks, along the rear of the public library.

It's quite a way down, on G**gle earth it's more easily located at the end of Kingsmead but I don't think there's any access from Kingsmead.

Michael.

Offline jakpeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 November 21 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Michael, that's Great
Smith,Tabbnor,Nicholson,Arkley,Hewison,Dobson,Melvil,Thompson,Mc conkey/Conkey,Park,Howe,Chapelhow,Allen

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 21 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Biggin Hill Cemetery is one of those owned by Bromley Council but I think day-to-day operations (which may or may not include lookup requests) have been outsourced to Idverde (e-mail address on cemetery pages). However, the Biggin Hill page says it didn't open until 1930, so your relatives may be elsewhere (not that it's unknown for burials to commence before the official opening date).
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline jakpeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 21 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris so still not sure where they could be buried

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 21 08:44 GMT (UK) »
https://www.movingchurch.org/about-us/our-history/

The above site tells the story of the building of the present church in Biggin Hill. There is a photo of the original church where there are a few gravestones. Presumably this church no longer exists but what happened to the burials? I would suggest you contact the present vicar/church and ask about your relatives’ burial place.